Author Topic: Tray of leeks  (Read 2572 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Tray of leeks
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 15:56:32 »
now i am torn, last year i was given some presown leeks and i was going to replicate by sowing in a try rather than modules.

But now i am not sure about sowing as i had planned, in modules or en  situ  :'(

I have some Japanese winter sown onions that dont seam to be doing much where they are and i am going to move them to the onion bed in a couple of weeks.

I am however going to plant my onion seed in modules in the next couple of days to give them a head start!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 15:59:54 by cambourne7 »

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 16:24:45 »
My leeks are currently about 3inches high and about2-3mm in diameter. They are currently in potting compost in plugs. Is this best option to transplant them into multi-purpose compost in single pots or to plant them straight onto the allotment this small?

Mine are at the same stage as yours sparkly, and also in a 40 cell plug tray.  I've been wondering when they would start to grow a bit more as they've been the same for a week or two now and one of my neighbours at the plot has just planted his out but they are about 8 inches tall and half inch thick.  I must ask him when he sowed them...

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 13:15:58 »
oh corbels... just scattered mine across a tray and left them to it. No gaps, no nothing!

They're 3-4" tall and about 1-2m thick now.  Oh well, will let them get on with it until they're big enough to stick outside. 

Worst case scenario is we get to eat baby leeks...!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 20:46:35 »
Steady folks!!

It is not wrong to grow in trays as many of you are doing all I have explained is; how I do it!!

Gardening is not an exact science so there are many ways to get good results.

For the record I went though a 'learning curve' as well, and in those days I didn't have forums like this to guide me, a lot was trial and error, and yes! as I recall;  I grew in trays as well!!

So all I was doing was 'making a suggestion' giving an opinion even! which I will admit to always doing, when I reply to queries.

All I would add is; when transplanting them take care of the root system and you should be well rewarded.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 20:57:45 »
mine are just popping out of my seed bed & will stay there till the right wether to move them ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal