Author Topic: Tray of leeks  (Read 2590 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Tray of leeks
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:49:11 »
Morning all, i've got a tray of Lyon Prizetaker leeks, that are about 3" high in a tray of compost,and there must be getting on for 100 in all, what do i do with them next? as i tried to gently coax a couple to put in a large plug tray so i could transplant to the lottie when they are a bit taller, but they were a difficult to pull out without breaking the roots, could anyone put a novice at ease? :)
Thas a rummun !!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Tray of leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:53:51 »
Another 'overdoer'. Next time sow in plugs!!

1. If there's 1/2" between them, slice between with a V sharp knife.

2. If not, soak well & then do the teasing out bit. They are pretty tough things, so don't worry too much.

3. I don't like the idea of moving on to plugs. The roots are already too long. It is perfectly reasonable to plant them out at 3". Otherwise, I would tend to heel them in until you need them.

From the top of my head!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:46:42 »
I agree with Tim in no.2....soak v.v.v. well & they'll tease out. Had to do this last year when mine were in a pot and well past their plant-out date :o They really are tough as old b(r?)oots.....about 100 and all survived 8)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 13:16:26 »
I agre Leek seedlings are almost totally indestructible... I like to let them really dry out before teasing apart then water in well...
 :-\

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 13:35:53 »
Quite a few folk trim the roots & leaves at planting time anyway. I find they drop down into the holes more easily if you shorten the roots a bit. Personally, I think I'd leave them be for a bit until you're ready to plant them out. (Keep them somewhere cool and water them regularly.)

When do most folk plant out their leeks? I normally follow the first early potatoes as I lift them, but if you want leeks in the autumn plant them earlier than that. They are a bienniel, so they shouldn't start going to seed until next spring.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 15:05:24 »
Morning all, i've got a tray of Lyon Prizetaker leeks, that are about 3" high in a tray of compost,and there must be getting on for 100 in all, what do i do with them next? as i tried to gently coax a couple to put in a large plug tray so i could transplant to the lottie when they are a bit taller, but they were a difficult to pull out without breaking the roots, could anyone put a novice at ease? :)

we've all done it, andyc..we were all novices once..I sow some seeds in a pot, transplant to rootrainers when they need it and then dib a big hole, drop hem in and water...it's amazing what they put up with  ;D

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 15:11:15 »
I'm sure it won't be the last time i'll make a c*ck up, i better make a note of all the good advice, ( Can't believe my luck in finding such a helpful and freindly site ) Ta very much. ;)
Thas a rummun !!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 16:06:43 »
i have always sown leeks into 6/8 inch flower pots and just left them to get on with it and when they are big enough plant them in the ground, i have never pricked them out or anything like that.  by the time they are ready to plant it looks like a pot of grass and i tip the whole lot out, shake the roots about in a bucket of water and they come apart quite easily. i always get a fairly good crop.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 16:14:54 »
I am pleased on reading this thread as I am about to sow my leeks in a tray. Will give them more space now. Thanks all.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 22:18:21 »
I suppose it's easy when you've been gardening since Adam and Eve, but when you are new you make mistakes.

That's what experience is, making mistakes and learning from them.

Sometimes though those mistakes turn out to be the best way anyway!

I grew a tray of leek grass too, and it's doing fine since being transplanted on, I cut a bit of root off to ease them into their holes, just like planting out in the garden.  Saved on space and now I've got a few pots to hand on to friends and family.

Sand

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:26 »
I suppose it's easy when you've been gardening since Adam and Eve, but when you are new you make mistakes.

Sand

I assure you it's not just newbies who make mistakes! Just because you've been growing something successfully for yonks doesn't mean it's going to work this time too. And we all have acres of ignorance. Anyway, making mistakes and learning (or not) from them is much more fun than getting it right every time.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:12 »
As Dad says - depending a bit on the make up of the compost - totally dry works too, but a bit drastic!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 16:27:27 »
I find leek seeds are big enough to sow singly into a 1"(25mm) plug.

Once germinated it is not a difficult job to pot them on and allow them to grow on to planting out size!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 16:43:48 »
My leeks are currently about 3inches high and about2-3mm in diameter. They are currently in potting compost in plugs. Is this best option to transplant them into multi-purpose compost in single pots or to plant them straight onto the allotment this small?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 16:45:01 »
Just sowed some seeds in a tray - spread thinnly. They are now in a heated propogator. Spread them out more than I would of done had I not read this thread...
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 17:15:40 »
They are currently in potting compost in plugs. Is this best option to transplant them into multi-purpose compost in single pots or to plant them straight onto the allotment this small?

What size of plugs?

I only grow late/winter varieties so I pot mine up into 3" pots to grow on until I am ready to plant them out usually after my early potatoes have been harvested (I use the same bed as a rule)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 19:07:30 »
I do not think that there is any need to pot leeks up into single cells, i fill a seed tray with compost and make a small drill about 1" apart and try and drop a seed about every1/4" along the row, then i just leave them to grow on until I am ready to plant them out into their growing positions
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 02:22:15 »
Must admit that I left about 70 leeks (sown very late, about July) in their seed tray until about October  :-[
Finally planted them out in a rush, in the space where my potatoes had been. They did survive, they even grew well throughout this mild winter we had, and am now harvesting good sized leeks. Varieties were Musselburgh and Mammoth Blanch.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 11:00:53 »
They are currently in potting compost in plugs. Is this best option to transplant them into multi-purpose compost in single pots or to plant them straight onto the allotment this small?

What size of plugs?

I only grow late/winter varieties so I pot mine up into 3" pots to grow on until I am ready to plant them out usually after my early potatoes have been harvested (I use the same bed as a rule)

standard 40 plug tray size - so small! would it not bother them to stay in potting compost as well?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 15:51:10 »
I think I am a bit out on my own when it comes to leeks for instance some people recommend trimming leaves & roots prior to planting. OK it works but it goes beyond my teachings.

I was taught that the 'allium' family resent root disturbance and if it is deemed necessary great care should be taken not to damage the brittle roots.

This is why I sow singly into plugs (approx1" square) then when germinated these are tranferred to 3" pots, these are grown on until planting out time.

I have an opinion on this but have no proof as such (other than my experience) that root disturbance can promote early 'bolting' and thick necks.

I find (relative to others on adjacent plots) I have very little bolting and thick neck problems.

When I have; I have noticed that the onion/leek has suffered from wind rock which in turn damages the root system, this is more the case with onions and blanch leeks as opposed to 'pot' leeks.

........and thats my view for what it is worth!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal