Author Topic: not a virgin any more!  (Read 2542 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
not a virgin any more!
« on: May 15, 2004, 18:28:45 »
Our pond that is.  Lined and filled and hopefully edged tomorrow, with a resident!  As we pottered around deciding on the edges, a big fat frog jumped out from the liner and swum around happily in our pond.  Ooo a happy Ava and sprogs cheered and whooped.  I fear the neighbours will be calling for the men in white coats before long, but at least my clan are a happy clan  ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:not a virgin any more!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 22:15:11 »
Hello Emma.How wonderful for you and the children to be rewarded so quickly! my frogs kept invading my fish pond so i built them their own but they still like to visit the big one!!

How are you intending edging it? I varied mine,with a third(the front edge) grass,very simple to do.Then at the back I placed a big rock hanging part over the edge for shade,and they can crawl under the rest of it that is on the soil.I planted  round another third with overhanging plants that would grow over into the pond and hide the lining.Finally I placed a few cobbles on the flat areas and where the water comes over them I planted in between with various marginals.In time the moss knitted everything together to make the cobbles more stable.The frogs use them to climb out of the pond.

Best of luck anyway,and do let us have some photos in due course.I hope you get some newts visiting.I was watching my babies today and they are so sweet.Get yourselves a good pond life book too because very soon you will be pond watching the various insect life and be asking.........what's this,what is THAT!! etc etc!!!
Margaret

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:not a virgin any more!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 22:20:41 »
We are edging our pond with new sleepers to raise the level, mainly because of the children.  This way there is a definate edge so they can't tumble quite so easily into it, and also Ava is going to get a grid type thingy which we can place over the pond when little sprogs, or friends of the children come over.  The sleepers overhang the pond by and inch or so, providing shadey hiding places, plus, one side is going to be like a beach kinda area using stones so we can plant marginals, and it is an escape route for frogs, toads, and any larger critters that end up in the pond!  The eventual plan is to have a stream running into the pond thru this beachy area - I will take photos, it will become clearer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal