Author Topic: Pumpkins trying to flower  (Read 1870 times)

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
Pumpkins trying to flower
« on: May 15, 2004, 14:07:58 »
Hi,
We planted our pumpkin seeds a while back and have had them on the window sill to germinate etc.  Now they are trying to flower but they're still on the window sill.  What's the best thing for us to do?  Leave them to flower or pinch out the flowers.  Can they be planted out yet?  
They were supposed to be going with the sweetcorn but the sweetcorn isn't quite ready.

tina

• Quarter Acre
Re:Pumpkins trying to flower
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 22:21:43 »
...don't really know, but I have the same problem. I think that the conservatory where they were growing was just too warm, so, we took a chance yesterday and planted them out (and the sweetcorn too), as they were all in danger of keeling over. Fingers crossed that they all survive:  and that one more knowledgable than I replies to your question!

Tina

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 22:34:36 »
I am desperately trying to hold off planting all of my squashes until bank holiday weekend - then that will be it, everything will have to chance the weather!  Some of mine have tiny weeny buds coming, don't know what I will do......I may well pick them off just so they don't use up lots of energy developing them before they can get in the ground and romp away.  Sorry, I am no help at all....um....I would say pinch the flower off if you aren't going to plant them out yet.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 23:17:08 »
These will probably be male flowers. They shouldn't prove as much as a drain on the plants as if they were female flowers. Leaving them on shouldn't prove noticeably detrimental. How big are these plants?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 23:27:53 »
Mine are about........that big John  :D.  They have about 4 leaves, so not huge, but desperate to get out of their pots!!   My buds are only weeny at the moment so I think they will be fine.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 23:52:02 »
Forget about your long weekend plans EJ. Plants budding that small are exhibiting a stress response- plant them as soon as you can.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:33:34 »
okay dokey John, I shall get them in next visit!  Thanks.  ;D

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 16:45:59 »
Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping that wasn't the case as they aren't looking the greatest.  I've just given them a dollop of water and will plant them asap.  The sweetcorn they are to be planted with are just hardening off and then it'll be into the ground with them.  

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 16:48:58 »
I keep putting my squashes into bigger and bigger pots! Gonna be in dustbins by the time I get the spot cleared that they are going in! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal