Author Topic: Wind generator.  (Read 1348 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Wind generator.
« on: March 28, 2007, 22:14:19 »
Hello

I would like to try building a wind generator for my lottie . Does anyone have any ideas how to go about it?

Thanks

cj :)

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
Re: Wind generator.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 22:28:36 »
Have no idea how to go about it, but love the idea. Think I will do a bit of research, and, if not too complicated, might even pinch the idea! lol. I will happily share my findings though! Might help to increase the chanes of funding for my community project, if I can say that we also plan to generate our own eco-friendly electricity!
Looking from the outside in...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 00:24:34 »
Does sound interesting, bit beyond me I think! But if you google on terms like"Wind turbines" there is a lot of info on the net, seems there are courses you can go on to learn how to build them. Found some basic info here on making PVC blades and using stepper motors: http://www.reuk.co.uk/PVC-Wind-Turbine-Blades.htm  and  http://www.reuk.co.uk/Electricity-with-Stepper-Motors.htm
hope it helps! Of course, when you suss out how to do it, you can publish a step-by-step guide here for us to copy  ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 00:35:06 »
You could make a crude one out of an alternator off a car ?
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:26:31 »
You could try growing a wind generator, Jeruselam Artichokes ;D

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Before you do anything, check out your local planning regs. Some councils insist on planning applications to erect wind turbines, even small ones.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:59 »
You could make a crude one out of an alternator off a car ?

The problem with most alternators is that they're horribly inefficient.  It would be cheap, though.  You'd obviously need a reg/rec and a battery to complete the setup.

You'd also need to drive the alternator at an appropriately high speed.  I think 2400 rpm (or higher) is the speed to aim for, so you'd need a big gear or pulley ration from a windmill.  I'm not sure that's achievable, TBH.

This link may help for the sparks end of the project. http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/tow02077.htm

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:42:33 »
Wind generators are unreliable in the summer, Solar panels are poor in the winter, so maybe a combination of both would be an each way bet. For the really efficient commercial generators I think you would have to go back to the old technology, tide mills as at Woodbridge, Suffolk. The East coast would be ideal for these, barriers and locks would have to be built to hold the tidal water. Inflow and outflow could both be used as the old tide mill at Beaumaris Castle. This would also encourage protection of the East coast against flooding.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal