Author Topic: 8 years wait, but worth it I think  (Read 3314 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
8 years wait, but worth it I think
« on: May 14, 2004, 22:16:59 »

It has taken me a long time to get the blue poppy to flower.
Gardening is the great leveller.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:8 years wait, but worth it I think
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 22:22:58 »
My!.Thats a real beaut.Eric.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 22:26:43 »
Meconopsis?  Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful Eric, however, I sowed some in a tray last year, and planted out the lovely little plants this......so you tell me I now have to wait another 6 before I see the flowers?!?!  Oh my, must remember not to move house!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 22:27:18 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 22:27:34 »
Gorgeous Eric (sorry for the confusion, thought you were talking about Melons ;D) You will know what I am talking about, the others will think I have lost it :D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 08:44:47 »
No, Ej. Many Meconopsis are biennial, so if they survive pricking out then they should flower next year. If they are perennial and they survive pricking out then they should flower the following year. As you can see the problem is getting them from germinated seedlings to baby plants. And finding the right position, and keeping them slug free, and just keeping them alive long enough to get big enough to flower. It has taken my this long to do all the above. And yes I know they grow like weeds in some people's gardens.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 16:44:14 »
I 'aquired' some seed of meconopsis a couple of years ago. I tried sowing some but only got one to germinate. This later got eaten by a slug/snail. I have not tried again since, though would love to grow one properly (ie big enough to flower). However I am put off by the stratification needed to get them to germinate.  I am an impatient sort so cant wait all winter, and dont have space in the fridge to do it either !. My only option is to by a plant, but not sure which are biennial, perenial or monocarpic (grow many years, flower once then die), so again am put off.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 18:16:29 »
Wow, didn't know they needed so much care!  I received seeds for blue, white and yellow meconopsis, sowed 'em and honestly, I think every single blighter germinated!  I have been giving the wee plants away!!  Have about a dozen of each variety in the garden in clumps, and of course, the slugs and snails leave 'em well alone, unlike my delphs and lupins  :'(.  They have already made sizeable plants, so, in theory, I could see flowers next year!  Oooooooooooooooo excited now!  ;D

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 22:15:03 »
hi eric
i read somewhere that if you could get meconopsis or cardiocrinum (giant himalayan lily) to flower, your gardening reputation was assured! So, well done....and definately worth it. I planted a rose - Madame Gregoire Staechelin, aka Spanish Beauty four years ago. For two years, nothing, last year, one bloom......this year - stupendous. wish i had a digi camera. Truly, imho, the most beautiful and fragrant rose in the world.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 23:13:41 »
It's absolutely stunning Palustris.  What kind of soil have you grown it in ?  I have the orange welsh poppies (meconopsis cambrica) self seeding everywhere - which I don't mind a bit - but I've never tried the himalayan one.  I'm not sure if they need the same soil type.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal