Author Topic: Ok, back to potato questions!  (Read 4323 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re:Ok, back to potato questions!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 14:44:26 »
Aquilegia,

It's frost where the leaves are which is where the ground is (give or take 6"). It is possible to have ground frost when the air temp is 3 degrees higher. The vital words to listen for in the weather forecast are ground frost.

The good news is that as the plants get more and more top (under or over the ground) the more resistant they are to just a little frost. A slight blackening of the leaf edges although technically a frosting will probably not upset them too much.

If you go to the allotment and see all the top black then the little darlings will have had quite a set back - literally that they will come again but will (for earlies) be ready a week or more later.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 14:46:53 »
Thanks Phil. I shall stop worrying about them then!
gone to pot :D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 14:48:36 »
I didn't say stop worrying, I was helping you know what to worry about!!!  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 16:27:49 »
Mystic, my anemones have flowered and are near finishing!  You do mean the bulby type and not the shrubby one huh?  Could just be the temperature I guess, some things for me are way ahead and other things which I expected to be marching along are taking the scenic route!  :-\

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2004, 17:27:32 »
Yes EJ, the bulby type...nothing occuring anywhere that I didnt grow at home...nothing left that I grew at home cos bludy slugs got it all - maybe I planted them too late...
Peas xx

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2004, 18:58:35 »
Help!!!  My potatoes have been growing a treat and I have earthed them up but tonight I noticed some of the leaves are yellow.  Is this a lack of nitrogen?  Not yellow as in wilting, yellow though.  A bit like a pretty ivy leaf, yellow and green.  The leaves are quite healthy looking, well at the mo that is.
Chloe:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal