Author Topic: Heat pattern  (Read 2505 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Heat pattern
« on: March 27, 2007, 17:14:50 »
My propagators are in a frst free greenhouse - heater cuts in to keep a minimum 5 deg C.

This non-thermostat propagator only had 8 seeds sown in it (which you can see at the bottom of the pic) before I went away for a week, deciding to leave the rest of sowing until a bit later. This pic is taken three weeks later. I think the propagator normally heats quite evenly, but it was persistently cold and you can see from the pattern of the dried out cells the impact of the cold air around it (it has a plastic lid by the way). I'm surprised so many of the 8 germinated.

Barnowl

• Hectare
Re: Heat pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 17:55:27 »
.. and the reason I'm mentioning this is that if you've some e.g. chillies that need a high temp to germinate make sure you sow them in the central cells

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 18:19:10 »
Worth watching!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 19:11:58 »
I'm a bit confused Barnowl why all that soil and only 8 seeds in?

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 21:43:29 »
I think the drying out in the middle would have more to do with the condensation running down the sides of the lid and into the outer cells than the temperature being hotter in the middle.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:36:22 »
I'm a bit confused Barnowl why all that soil and only 8 seeds in?

Had already filled one propagator but had a few seeds left over - stuck them in then went on holiday! This is the other one (which is more powerful) after I swapped the two trays around because the outer cells weren't doing as well as the inner.  Incidentally, the seeds that failed were mainly either sweet peppers or large podded chillies - don't know if that's significant or just eth heat pattern.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 13:01:28 »
I think the drying out in the middle would have more to do with the condensation running down the sides of the lid and into the outer cells than the temperature being hotter in the middle.

That might be it, but I'm pretty consistent at tipping condensation away....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal