Author Topic: It makes one wonder  (Read 2072 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
It makes one wonder
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:59:45 »
I scrapped my pond a few days ago as it was leaking and generally a mess.

I didn`t fancy re-doing it myself so phoned around to have it done, I got a quote from one chap at £1550-yes that`s right!! I had another today at £260. How can there be such a difference?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Re: It makes one wonder
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:22:59 »
One sounds expensive, the other cheap.  Is it a case of emptying and relining, or are you planning a new pond in a new location?  We're paying approx £1000 to someone who is going to "excavate hole for new pond 2.8m x 1.7m and cart away spoil.  Compact base of hole and pay 100mm depth tamped concerte slab.  Construct pond sides and shelves in 100mm block/brick work all set in cement mortar.  Line pond with geotextile membrane under 0.75mm butyl box liner with 100mm flanges.  Partially fill pond with water.  Lay 300mm x 300mm reproduction flags around pond edges, all set on sharp sand mortar bed with 10mm mortared joints, ensuring consistent 40mm overhang all round.  Fill pond with water".

Having dug out and eventually disposed of over 25 tons of soil when we made the patio, we've resorted to paying for the pond because we can't face digging any more soil out.  Good luck with yours.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:08:04 »
Hi Jill-I have emptied the pond. I just want it dug out another two or three inches,levelled and re-lined.

I had my reservations when this chap turned up in a very expensive vehicle

I would pay a grand for what you are getting but not £1550 for a day or so`s work + liner and underlay-I think he confused me with someone rich and born yesterday ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:14:26 by cleo »

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 22:58:20 »
Jill , sorry to be curious but is there a special reason for all the brickwork instead of just digging a profiled hole?
Cleo, the cheap price is fair,other bloke is having a laugh.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 15:10:58 »
jjt, yes.  The extra brick/blockwork is necessary because our garden is on two levels and the pond is to be sited in what is effectively a raised bed.  The current supporting wall is only single skin, with insufficient strength to retain a pond.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 23:25:54 »
I see. Thanks Jill.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 16:52:21 »
The new pond is in and full-and the chap dug it out more than just an inch or two :) He will get more business from me.

Now all I need are some frogs-the village has never recovered from the grass snake invasion.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 21:53:20 »
Great news, Cleo - the cheaper chappie, I presume!  Enjoy!  I'm hoping for frogs too when the pond is finally up and running.  The cats manage to bring enough in so there must be a healthy colony close to hand for us.  The funniest thing for me and the boys is watching the OH chasing around the house trying to catch the frogs, always alive and hopping (or should I say jumping) mad.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 15:59:14 »
I had a student from the local horticultural college come to give me a quote to just dig out a pond, and he wanted £400!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal