Author Topic: What should an allotment committee do?  (Read 3958 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
What should an allotment committee do?
« on: April 09, 2007, 13:53:24 »
The AGM of our association committee has been advertised on the notice board for next month & I will probably be going...mainly to find out what they have been doing as apart from little pieces of info via the In-laws (who also have a plot) I havent really had any info....would be nice to see what my fee goes on! Admittedly we have been anything but the the perfect plot holders so far so Im assuming now we are starting to go up to the site more often I will get a better idea of what they actually do.

I would am interested in what your committees do for its plot holders,  what happens at the AGM or other meetings etc. Ive been involved with committees before so know how they generally should be run (quorums, constitutions etc) but never been involved with allotment association ones before.

TIA

Saz

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: What should an allotment committee do?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 14:08:21 »
The committee ( assuming you're self-governed) are responsible for lettings, ensuring compliance with tenancy agreements, site maintenance, water and security. They may also improve the site, run a shop, publish newsletters, hold open days and social events, organise work parties, improve vacant plots, liaise with the council and neighbours and gtenerally do all the things that plot holders don't do for themselves but might notice if they don't happen.

Alternatively, they may just let plots and do very little else.

One of the most frustrating things running a site is how many people care about having an allotment but don't participate outside their own plot. We once worked out that the total amount of work necessary to keep our site in tip-top condition equated to about an hour a year per tenant, yet it always falls to the same dozen or so people to give up time on a weekly/daily basis.

As regards the AGM, it should be pretty standard. Reports from Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, elections of same and elections of committee members. Give it a go, you can always resign if it's not for you.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 14:31:46 »
The committee ......... do all the things that plot holders don't do for themselves but might notice if they don't happen.

I think that about somes it up in one sentence.

There are three types of committee members
  • those that want to improve things and work together for the benefit of everyone
  • those that are on the committee to see what they can get for themselves and do very little (if any) work
  • those that like to say "I'm on the committee"
Hopefully i fall into the first category ;D

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 15:38:46 »
a good rule to write into the missive is everyone must give 2hrs per year in a community activity. this could be painting fences, clearing the car park, or the outside of vacant plots, cleaning the toilets.etc.  if everyone does a little it can make a big difference.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:20:12 »
Our site is owned by the local authority and as no allotment committee but i wish we had one. Would love to see a shop, plant and produce swap etc.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:45:45 »
DJ has mainly summed up what a committee can do.  When I joined our local allotment committee, the first thing I suggested doing was design a welcome pack for new members so they would know where things were and whatever else they needed to know about the site.

Also we used to meet as a committee every three months and I thought  members should be informed about what was discussed there, so I also suggested doing a Newsletter for each season, and that is what we did.

It went down very well as otherwise members have no idea apart from rumours, what goes on at the site.  Our committee which is self managed work quite hard and do a lot more than people think.  I left the committee last year but thankfully they still do the newsletter and the welcome pack. 

Even if council owned I am sure you are allowed to form a committee and even to become self managed if you want to. Have a word with your allotment officer Travman.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:34:23 »
Our site is owned by the local authority and as no allotment committee but i wish we had one. Would love to see a shop, plant and produce swap etc.
there are two main allotments sites where I live ours which has a committee the other one doesnt. We have skips working parties and a shop etc rents from £16. they have naff all and rent is (i think) £60. Well worth the effort IMO

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 15:11:27 »
Thanks for the replies guys....have a better idea what to expect now....our village has 2 sites, owned by the council and they manage the rental agreements & I have noticed a few mentions of the sites in the parish council meetings minutes....work the association has done on the fencing, clearing oil from a plot, water bills & other issues....these are freely available on the parish council website...but Im thinking that surely the plot holders should be aware of these issues and informed directly? From the rumours there seems to be an awful lot going on the background (lottery funding for various things like toilets, site shop & cabin etc)...and last summer they had a very successful produce sale at the village hall every fortnight...but atm it feels like unless you are in the clique then you dont get to find stuff out :-\....

Its also really unclear about who is responsible for what as apart from as weve been given no info at all apart from the actual rental agreement and the  list of the major committee members on the notice boards of both sites. When I paid my rent last week I mentioned to the parish clerk some of the problems we have had over the past year (which the site secretaries were aware of) and she said that she doesnt get to hear any of that sort of stuff....which I find odd - surely the association & the council should be talking to each other?....I like the idea of having a newsletter for each season & knowing when meetings are all the major things discussed and events etc.....I also like the idea of a welcome pack for other plot holders as well....would certainly help with the community feel that seems to be lacking atm...so shall be going to the meeting a list of suggestions....if it means I have to get involved in helping with the paperwork then it will be worth it I think, from the pov of the other new plot holders.
Saz

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 22:02:35 »
I am Treasurer of a "Private" site, a limited company who actually own the land we are working... I love my job (honest) and the FSA are such wonderful people!
 ;D

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 08:51:54 »
We have an allotment association on our site.

I know from the original constitution dating back to the 1930s its objectives included the supply to members of manure and scalpings - presumably for the paths.

In its more modern form we use our membership fees to stock a trading hut and enable the bulk buying of products and selling them on to members at cheaper prices than the local garden centre.

Around this trading hub we have a plant sale, plot tours open to the public, a barbecue, a plant show, an autumn pumpkinfest and anything else that helps raise funds to cut costs elsewhere. At present we are rasing funds to enable the updating of our equipment.

OC

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 09:43:47 »
What a brilliant committee you must have OC. Lots of great community activities there. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:43 »
Busy_lizzie

The previous incumbents spent a huge amount of effort getting a new hut built but there has to be a balance between pleasure and work. Exactly as you would aim to achieve on a plot.

As yet we are only scratching the surface but with time will ingrain a different habit. We do have a remit in our constitution to promote the joys of horticulture in the community and are contacting local schools with this in mind.

If we were trying to manage and maintain the allotment I suspect it would be a different list of priorities for the committee, we just apply pressure on the council.

OC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal