Author Topic: p-p-p-p-Pick Up a Parsnip  (Read 2337 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
p-p-p-p-Pick Up a Parsnip
« on: March 26, 2007, 23:55:17 »
Lots of discussion again this year about best way to sow parsnips and that reminded me of the long and hilarious thread at the same time last year involving Supersprout et al.  Thing is at the end I pleaded for someone to develop a Parsnip Puller Outer - anyone come up with a model yet?
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,17652.0
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: p-p-p-p-Pick Up a Parsnip
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:02:59 »
I gave it some thought, but took an alternative tack, that of making the holes, thus hoping that the parsnips will be easier to lift. (Using my planter ...) All mine are now planted (but not germinated) so I may get a chance to address the problem again.

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 19:09:05 »
I've gone the same way, Derek - guess the p.p.o will join the pot og gold at the end of the rainbow.....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 19:40:52 »
Wicker -- thanks for the joyful reminder of that thread! ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 22:14:48 »
Just read through that thread - a real delight & lovely to see SS's contributions.  Wish I'd read it earlier tho as just planted out mine in their loo rolls.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:21:45 »
Hello!

I have a brilliant way of choosing which parsnip seeds to put in because as you are aware they are dodgy on germination anyway.  What you do is use a fruit container with a lid (plastic from the supermarket) put a piece of damp kitchen roll on the bottom put in the seed, spray daily to keep moist and voila after a week or so you will see the seeds that have germinated and just pop them in.

This year I am trying predrilled holes with compost filled in and then the seed put on top of that.  Apparently you get straighter parsnips.  We shall see.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal