Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 25080 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2007, 14:58:41 »
That's waiting on my shelf Caroline.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Conker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2007, 22:14:03 »
Have just read "Black Swan Green" and "This book will save your life" one straight after the other.  Thoroughly enjoyed them both.  Passed "BSG" on to OH, who continually harrassed me to finish "TBWSYL" before he'd finished the first.  Couldn't do it in time, so he's onto a Dan Brown, while I am on to "The Girls".  (Sorry Im not putting authors here, but having had a few to drink, I cannot be bothered to go and find the books!)

Have also got Phillippa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl" on the go.
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2007, 22:54:02 »
Being a librarian, i loveeeeeeeeeeee books, keep buying them but getting round to reading them is another thing. I think th last book i read was The Abortionists Daughter... but i have about 5 new books that i need to get stuck into.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2007, 22:59:27 »
'Spiritual Midwifery' by Ina May Gaskin
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2007, 23:01:37 »
My favorite book is 'Women Who Run With the Wolves' by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2007, 12:14:07 »
Started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Have you read this Olive? It is amazing, can't put it down, started it last night, put it down at about 2am.
It's about a young girl who is murdered and goes to heaven, how she watches her family and her murderer and how she influences their lives. It's captivating and wonderfully written. I wish I could write like that.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2007, 12:39:03 »
God's War (about the Crusades) by Christopher Tyerman.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2007, 13:10:00 »
Have just read "Black Swan Green" and "This book will save your life" one straight after the other.  

Last two adult books, I read, too.

Wasn't too impressed by "This book will save your life".

Black Swan Green (by David Mitchell) is really good, but his previous books (Cloud Atlas, Ghostwritten, No.9 Dream) have been great. This is much of a straight 'year in the life of a teenager' compared with the multiple narrative, story within stories that his previous novels were.

My 'to read' pile is up to about thirty books. "The Tenderness of Wolves" is next.

Anyone who's read Mabey (especially Flora Britannica or Nature Cure) probably won't need me to recommend this

Think I'll have to get hold of that! (Flora Britannica is a fantastic piece of work). Although as a Cambridgeshire resident, I still think it a little strange that when he was suffering from severe depression, he chose to move to the fens rather than away from them  ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2007, 14:56:03 »
Anyone who's read Mabey (especially Flora Britannica or Nature Cure) probably won't need me to recommend this

Think I'll have to get hold of that! (Flora Britannica is a fantastic piece of work). Although as a Cambridgeshire resident, I still think it a little strange that when he was suffering from severe depression, he chose to move to the fens rather than away from them  ;)
[/quote]

Funny you should say that - I lived in Ely for 16 years and thought exactly the same thing!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2007, 19:18:22 »
'Spiritual Midwifery' by Ina May Gaskin

sounds interesting spacehopper - what's it about ??

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2007, 20:46:27 »
Just finished Perfume by Patrick Suskind. :o :o How they made this into a film I don't know, I'll have to see it. Also A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka which was a very enjoyable read and Earthly Joys by Philippa Gregory. I really enjoyed this and will read some others by her I think.
Smile, it confuses people.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2007, 22:22:47 »
Wolves for me too!  "Wolves of the Calla", part 5 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  This is a very thick book, should keep me quiet for a long time. 

I bought it new on Amazon marketplace for just 80p! with p&p it's still half the High St price.  Was looking on ebay, but people bid used books up to such silly prices on there.  Add in the p&p, and they might as well go to WHS and buy it new.

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2007, 11:13:24 »
I started The Constant Gardener a few weeks ago but I wasn't impressed at all so I've dumped that for Narrow Dog To Carcassone.  I'm only 40 or so pages in but it's already made me laugh out loud a good few times and the syle it's written in is just lovely.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2007, 20:53:04 »
That's a shame Nelson, I liked The Constant Gardener.
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 22:27:37 »
I have just finished The Island thanks to Flossie who kindly sent me a copy which she doesn't want back and will not even take the postage for,bless her heart. I really enjoyed this one Flo, you are a darling.

So fair is fair, I would like to pass it on and perhaps then someone else could pass it on.

First to PM gets it, same rules apply, I don't want the postage either.

What goes around comes around as the saying goes. !!!

Thanks again Flossie

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2007, 22:05:03 »
have you guys heard of book crossing?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/
i love the idea of releasing books into the wild.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2007, 22:28:49 »
Oooh, I do like that, but i'm a bit of a keeper. Got 3 bookcases full, boxes waiting till I have more room. I'd do it with a copy that I'd replaced for better condition/cover etc. Hardly in the spirit though!  ::) :) ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2007, 08:10:41 »
emmy - Lovely Bones i have 1/4 read and cant get into it... i will keep trying though but i'm not inspired to read at the moment. I tend to read 1/2 dozen books in a month and then nothing for 3 months LOL

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2007, 10:11:05 »
I read The Lovely Bones for a book group, a few years ago.  Probably because I am deeply unreligious, and have no belief in any kind of heaven, it wasn't really my kind of book.

The same group also set us on to read Seven People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom.  You don't want to hear my thoughts on that one.  :)  I left the book group not long afterward.

In the last couple of weeks I have re-read the whole of Faith Addis' series of five books about her and her husband's various ventures (the Down to Earth tv series was loosely based on these books) - starting with running a holiday camp for children.  A friend had borrowed these a few years ago, and just returned them.  Then I moved on to the boxed set of PG Wodehouse I bought from the clearance shelf at WHSmith (again re-reading, because I think there are very few Wodehouse's I haven't perused).

I've also read a book called Allotted Time which you may have heard of.  About a couple of men who started from scratch on their own allotment.  The cover strapline is "Twelve months, two blokes, one shed, no idea".  It's amusing, thought it doesn't really teach you much about veg growing.  The main message of the book, I think, is that lottie-ing can be life-affirming, and in the case of the author, it helped to pull him out of depression.  Can't be bad.  :)

I have, as you might have gathered, spent a lot of time reading this last two weeks.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2007, 10:19:47 »
WHERE'VE YOU BEEN DENBEE  ;D SEE ME IN MY OFFICE IMMEDIATELY  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal