Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 24990 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
What are you reading?
« on: March 25, 2007, 00:38:24 »
Apart from gardening books. Inspired to ask after watching Chocolat tonight. One of my favourite books and not ruined too much by being made into film. I'm reading Mother's Boys by Margaret Forster. I've read it before but having a re-read as such a fantastic writer.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:00:02 »
my sister got me a new (charity shop) herbal recipe book so I'm reading that..it's fascinating, loads of oldy worldy recipes in there, vinegar and brwn paper plaisters..looking to update my herbal remedy medicine chest  ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:39:01 »
I  love crime...novels and have just discovered Fred Vargas.  I really enjoyed her book "Seeking whom he may devour"

Next on the pile I've got another Henning Mankell, a Swedish crime writer.  Would be interested to hear "crime" recommendations from other members.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:44:28 »
we got a copy of clockwork orange with the Independent a couple of weeks ago and never seeing the film, but hearing the hype I thought I'd read it.  Determined to finish it (its only thin) but I the sentences are made up of absolute rubbish and gibberish, half the time I have no idea what is going on - in fact it reminds me of a fantasy that a teenager would write - along with the fantasy language.  Not recommended.

The only other book I was never able to finish (despite my best efforts) was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ... OMG my eyelids are closing at the meer mention of its name.

Best books I've read were the Gormenghast (?) series

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:10:49 »
The Course of Honour --  by Lindsay Davis (writer of the Falco series, crime books brilliantly set in ancient Rome and also great fun to read.)

'The Course of Honour' is fiction but based around fact: that the emperor Vespasian had a long-standing mistress, who was a former slave. Her name was Caenis. And it's wonderfully researched, well written, fast paced and packed with emotion...

I've read it before and am enjoying it at least as much second time around!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 12:12:09 »
Currently I am reading the Trail of Tears, the true story of the Cherokee Indians upheaval.  XX Jeannine

I am told the book The Island is excellent but have not found it yet.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:23 »
I seem to have finally gotten back on the 'good books', hoorah! After OU I always burn out any anything with any depth (fiction or non-fiction) and can only read easy trash for a few months. ;)

Just got Bryson's 'A Short History of Everything' which I can't put down now and Phillip Ball's 'H20' from the library. I love when I find good stuff!

Tina.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 13:08:52 »
I am reading Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.  Currently just over halfway through the fourth book, Wizard and Glass. 

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 15:06:29 »
Close to the Veg - Michael Rand.  Can't recommend it as a riveting read unless you're really interested in the history of Finchley. Not much allotment work so far! :D

Just finished Hannibal Rising - relatively predictable (probably due to the previous films!)  but a fast, good reader that I wanted to read in one go.

About to start Midnight Cactus by Bella Pollen.  Her other two books were a good summertime read.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 15:33:22 »
I quite like Elizabeth Peters mysteries, good if you like egyptology, which I do, plenty of descriptions and explanations of egyptian pharoahs etc plus a good story..if you're going to get one, they are the amelia peabody series  :)

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 16:06:32 »
I  love crime...novels and have just discovered Fred Vargas.  I really enjoyed her book "Seeking whom he may devour"

Next on the pile I've got another Henning Mankell, a Swedish crime writer.  Would be interested to hear "crime" recommendations from other members.
Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell) Her darker side and just superb. Also Minette Walters fab, I'm  assuming you've done Morse etc.  :)

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 17:17:52 »
I am reading the Peter Kaye autobiography The Sound Of Laughter.  I love Peter Kaye on the telly and although the book is funny, it's not as funny as I thought it would be.  Still, it has been great to read about his childhood and teenage years.  It's become very obvious where some of his 'characters' come from !
Donna.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 17:32:12 by machman5 »
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 17:28:27 »
I'm reading "The Hawk Dancer" by  Diana Saville. Hadn't heard of it before I saw it in the second-hand shop, but enjoying it so far. Chocolat is one of my favourites, too, but I have to say the film did annoy me! My other favourite of Joanne Harris's is "Blackberry Wine"- quite a lot of gardening stuff in it.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 17:40:59 »
Blackberry Wine is gorgeous. The film annoyed me too Caroline as they made the priest two separate people and the whole film lacked the oozy subtlety of the book, but it's always the way isn't it? I felt the same about Memoirs of a Geisha.

Currently I am reading the Trail of Tears, the true story of the Cherokee Indians upheaval.  XX Jeannine
XX Jeannine

Jeannine, have you read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee? It's very painful read, I'm only 1/4 way through. Have to keep leaving it and coming back to it. It's too much to read in one go, just far too horrific.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 18:00:22 »
I've just read 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. It's about how a couple of little Greek city states (which had just developed body armour) managed to defeat the first 'world power' Europe ever encountered.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 19:34:56 »
Emmy, no I haven't read it, but I am aware of it and intended to, someone else told me it was hard,this one is too but I need to read it.

If you are interested in books to do with North American Indians try getting
The Daughters of Copper Woman, it is an odd book ,certainly I would describe it as a womans book, and it is amazing how the beliefs run very close to that of the Christian faith especially the bit about the creation of man.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 22:13:54 »
Just finished "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver for our book club meeting this month. Read it in two days - it's horrific and totally compelling. If I'd read it before I'd had kids, I'd have seriously thought about getting my tubes tied! :o

Am re-reading my Janet Evanovich novels as light relief. That woman just makes me laugh out loud.

Love all  books by Joanne Harris - Gentlemen & Players was very dark indeed, but Chocolat is my favourite.

(Going to look on my book shelves, I have just discovered my copy of Holy Fools has disappeared - my Mother is going to be in big trouble for borrowing books without asking me - that kind of thing just isn't funny when you're an ex-librarian  ;D)

Tabby

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 23:28:45 »
I have just started The White Rose, by Jennifer Donnelly. When I looked at the cover it seemed like the kind of book I would never read!

It's set in 1900 in London and follows a woman who has just qualified as a doctor. There are all sorts of threads running through it, it looks a really good on the evidence of the first couple of chapters.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 23:35:18 »
Just joined new library that has opened in my village and picked up Ghosting by Jennie Erdal.  Half way through and am finding it an interesting, but not a  "can't put down" read. First book I ever read (on my ownsome) was the The Ruggles Family! Doesn't even appear on search engines - that famous!! ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 01:29:31 »
I'm reading A feast for crows book 4 in the A song of ice and fire series by George R.R Martin. I'm with you mc55, Gormenghast brilliant!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal