Author Topic: How to use an azada?  (Read 26917 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How to use an azada?
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:05:33 »
Got my azada today! :D Just tried to search for the thread I read before about the best tchnique for using it (it's a medium sized one) but search wouldn't oblige. Does anyone have a link to that thread, or any tips?

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Re: How to use an azada?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:42:44 »
Just use it the same as you would a Tescada or Sainsburada. ;D (Sorry)
Chantenay.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:35:21 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40:19 »
Thanks, wattapain, I've already read that but wanted more! ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:44:11 »
You whack it into the soil and pull towards you. Different to digging with a spade in that you don't actually lift the soil with it, just turn it. Needs a bit of practice but not hard to master even after just a few min's.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 14:04:44 »
Thanks for those, Ken. Search is working again now so found lots more info from A4A azada fans! Will be down the plot tomorrow trying it out.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 15:12:31 »
Thanks for those links. I was just going to google azada cos I didn't even know what an azada is :o but have always told my children never be afraid to ask, doesn't matter how silly the question is  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 16:04:57 »
I had to have a look at what an 'Azada' was as this was a new one on me!

At least it was until I checked up and found that I have been using one for years but I have always known it as a Chillington hoe or 'Mattock'

see here;http://tinyurl.com/2uvd6z

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 16:20:54 »
I had different techniques recommended here but still find the 'over the head' method works best for me. Not a full swing, but I lift it to about head height while standing with feet a shoulder width apart. I'm dropping straight down in front of me (well, a bit aways obviously!). I then pull like kenkew says - but don't pull too hard if it's difficult! That's been really bad on my back and I have to remember to just take another swing if the top layer isn't easy enough to turn.

I couldn't really handle the sideways swing but someone else here likes doing that. That was actually harder on my back, but any uneven sideways distribution of weight/force is worst for my back in any situation.

I've also used it to open bags of sand when no scissors were handy. ;) An over the top approach.

Tina.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 16:56:28 »
If you've got a mat of shallow-rooted weeds like nettles, then working backwards and undercutting it works wonders.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 17:13:51 »
I'm really annoyed now I wrote out a long answer to this thread then posted and the whole lot disappeared. When i looked there was another new post...Robert's they must have crashed in the ethernet somewhere and his won!!!!!!!!!

I have recently got an azada but still find the mattock better for breaking in new ground because it's heavier. I tend to use them on one side then swap to the other I couldn't use the azada over my head because of neck problems.

I have seen the canterbury hoe pictured somewhere which looks much like an azada.

My other post was much longer but I can't remeber what I wrote now.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 21:16:46 »
Thanks for those links. I was just going to google azada cos I didn't even know what an azada is :o but have always told my children never be afraid to ask, doesn't matter how silly the question is  :)

Neither did I til Amazin mentioned it on the anger management thread.

fantastic looking objects, big dangerous though in the wrong hands  :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 21:52:32 »
Lethal, but so are a lot of things. The only ones I really object to are those designed specifically for killing people.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 21:56:34 by Robert_Brenchley »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 21:56:54 »
and the the best bit is that they're legal   :D   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 00:12:43 »
If you have to lift it over your head it is too light. A lot of sellers have connned a lot of gullible people into buying completly useless tools because it is in vogue.

I have an old adze which was used by boat builders for carving wood planks, nice and heavy and I use it as I would  a hoe. The azada is based on this tool and it makes light work of stripping turf, weeds etc. If I had to put that much effort in I would use a spade.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 09:26:37 »
Mine's certainly not lightweight!

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 17:11:53 »
Just use it the same as you would a Tescada or Sainsburada. ;D (Sorry)
Well I thought that was really funny!!  ;D ;D ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 17:43:25 »
 So did I!
Well, used it for the first time today. Think I need some more practice, and possibly a shorter handle, but it was certainly good for getting into the soil. As others have said, because it chops so well, that is also a downside- unfortunately the bed I started on turned out to be full of bindweed, so I used the azada to break the surface then a fork to get all the weeds out. That bed had been covered in plastic for 2 years at least but that ****** bindweed was still there ready and waiting!
Also used it to skim the top layer of grass off a weedy patch, and to smooth the surface before sowing. It will definitely be a useful additional tool.

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 22:51:13 »
We bought one in Greece last year, very interesting looks as we walked along with our backpacks and a gardening tool!

Had some trouble finding a handle for it but got there eventually.  It's a heavyweight but very effective.  Wouldn't be without it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal