Author Topic: When?  (Read 3114 times)

Toni

• Not So New ...
When?
« on: March 22, 2007, 17:38:40 »
Hi. I'm a newbie and only got my allotment at the weekend. I know I have a few weeks of hard graft and digging ahead of me before I can realistically plant anything, but I was wondering how late I can plant pumpkins? I have a Halloween party every year and thought it would be fantastic to have my own pumpkins at it!     If its not too late, could anyone advise me on what seeds to buy?

Thanks

Toni

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: When?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 17:59:08 »
You can sow in pots in the warm until May time really, depending where you are in the country, and then in April you could sow direct, altho protect them from the slugs as they will scoff them the moment they break through the ground!

You are spoilt for choice on what to buy.  If you just want good orange one then there are types like Jack O Lantern which are traditional round pumps, or if you want HUGE then there are varieties like Dills Giant and Hundred Weight, but they could do with starting off sooner rather than later so the fruits have time to get huge!  ;D

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 19:25:43 »
Hi. Thanks for that.  I was just wondering though......would slug pellets be ok to use? I want to be as organic as possible and I'm quite sure that slug pellets dont fall under that catergory!!! (I'm having a debate with my fiance). 

I was thinking then, of starting some out in pots now (hopefully both Jack O Lantern and Hundred Weight), and then transferring them to the allotment when they've established themselves and I've got part of the allotment ready?

Toni

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 21:57:43 »
You can buy organic slug pellets made by Growing Success. I'll be starting my pumpkin seeds indoors in mid to late April for planting out end of May or early June, depending how the weather goes. :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 22:31:01 »
Toni, I have pumpkin seeds if you want any to try. Jack O Lantern, Queensland Blue, or Mammoth, though they didn't grow that mammothly last year.  I was just looking in my book and I sowed them on the 25th April and planted them out early June.  You could try growing them up a frame which might help with the slugs, though I can't say I have had any bother in the past, might have just been lucky! They like heavily manured ground and lots of sunshine and water. They are a very rewarding plant to grow and it is great to see the way the seeds push their way out of the soil. Let me know if you want any seed and good luck! busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:40:15 »
oh wow, thanks.  seeds would be great.  i will PM you my address.    Thanks again.  and any and all advise would be great. I've only grown peppers, tomatoes and flowers before so I really am a beginner.

Toni
Toni

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 15:50:54 »
There seems to be  a big tendency to plant pumpkins to early to me. I sow mine indoors last week of Aprill and plant out last week in May to first week in June. This will still leave plenty of time to grow HUGE pumpkins. Even this could be left another week or so  if needed.
These were sown last year on around the 27th April.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 16:38:38 by Travman »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 16:45:21 »
I plant mine in March because when I tried planting later, I never got any ripe fruit. Those were bad summers, admittedly, but you can't count on good weather! Starting them early does no harm, at the very least.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 17:41:58 »
what about if you plant them later rather than earlier?. me and a couple of other mums (hi emmy) are running a plant stall at our school summer fair which is on july 7th and we are planning to sell pumpkin plants but dont want them to be too huge for the stall.  we were thinking of sowing about six weeks before the date (mid may at earliest) but i am wondering now if that is going to be too late to make good pumpkins. what do you think? (sorry if i have hijacked the thread)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 22:45:35 »
 ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

wayne1978

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 11:03:41 »
i started my pumpkins mid may last year and they were ready a couple of weeks before halloween. they were the jack'olanten variety they don't grow massive but they are perfect for halloween the biggest one was exactly a stone in weight.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 00:16:34 »
Hi

I have got 2 plants now from my second lot of planting and there past the 2 leaf stage.

Planting out this weekend :-)

Cambourne7

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
When?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 18:24:38 »
Ooh, ooh, I found a packet in my jacket that have been there since September. I must try them. It'll be my first time.

I don't have open ground in my back garden. Should I turn a few sods and plant them there? or mow the grass really short and then, having started the seeds off in pots till I get the second set of leaves???

Should they be kept off the ground? I see someone near me growing them and they seem to be elevated with straw or something...

Ta

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal