Author Topic: Herons Meals  (Read 2572 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Herons Meals
« on: May 12, 2004, 23:51:23 »
 ::)
We had our Pond cleared out this morning and have found that Mr or Mrs Heron have had a great feed at our Pond over the winter.  At the last count of our fish last Autumn we had 8 very large Koi Carp and Orfe plus at least 50  4" to 5" golden and blue Orfe who were born in our Pond.   Today, we found we had only 18 of the smaller golden/blue orfe and 1 Koi Carp and 2 Orfe.  

I knew the Heron was visiting almost daily but we were confident that he was not successful because of the depth of our Pond.  It is 4ft in the middle and the pond has been there since 1992 with the fish without any missing until this winter.

I was quite upset and will make sure we put some sort of covering over the pond for this winter.  

So, the Heron has managed to scoff 35 fish at least.  Well I suppose we helped keep one species alive this winter. :-* :o :o >:( >:(

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:Herons Meals
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 14:15:25 »
Hello Carol.Yes it is upsetting but not something you can blame him for,i bet he thought you were being generous in providing such an easy meal! I am surprised you never saw him catch or eat anything.

When we built our first pond the first heron arrived within 2 days of putting a few fish in.We went straight out and bought a net ,and I have never left the pond uncovered since.You soon get used to seeing one on.If you get the netting that is used to protect fruit trees it has a lot of give in it.Don't buy pond netting,especially the green one.It will shred your skin,as well as any unfortunate frog squeezing through the holes.
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal