Author Topic: Intalling a simple wire fence?  (Read 1293 times)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
Intalling a simple wire fence?
« on: March 20, 2007, 17:03:35 »
As a new lot holder, the first thing I think I need to do is fence the plot off.  To the right of my plot, as I have a neighbour there, there is a nice wire fence, which I would like to install on the other 3 sides, helping to keep out rabbits and such.

Does anyone have any idea's or tips on how to go about this?  Hoew deep it should be? etc

Cheers,

Ian.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
Re: Intalling a simple wire fence?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 17:36:07 »
I have used the steel mesh panels they use as tempory fencing around building sites. I used scaffold poles as uprights

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 17:36:36 »
This is hard work, but worth it, because there is nothing worse than rabbits. You need to small holed chicken wire - baby rabbits are surprisingly small and hungry- get it five feet tall, because at least 6-8inches will be dug in, and the rabbits can jump surprisingly high. I paid £25 for (Ithink) 50metres from Countrywide Farmers. Get some decent posts, wire for the tops and those hoopy shaped nails. You will need to dig the chicken wire at least six inches deep - more if you can. Put the wire with the bottom of it in the trench bent outwards from your plot. Apparently this fuddles the rabbits when they are trying to dig their way in (yes, they will). I think Defra has a section on rabbit proof fencing http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/vertebrates/rabbit.htm
Chantenay.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 19:09:03 »
How many rabbits do you have? One is a nuisance (one had most of my parsnips one winter), many is a plague.

istanley24

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 15:30:20 »
Thanks for the pointers, I can see I am going to have my work cut out from the off!  Hopefully we'll get some nice weather this weekend so I can make a good start on the plot and fencing.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 17:30:38 »
Oh joy! Next we ;)ekend's job, weather permitting. :( :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal