Author Topic: Leeks and Beetroot  (Read 2192 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Leeks and Beetroot
« on: March 18, 2007, 17:45:15 »
Afternoon all, i'm very new to this gardening lark, and i have planted some leek seeds ( Lyon Prizetaker ) and beetroot seeds ( Perfect 3 ) in a couple of trays of John Innes No1, do i need to transplant them to bigger individual pots as the seeds come through ( which they are doing quite nicely ) or leave them for a bit longer and put them straight into the lottie? Any help, gratefully received.
Andy  ;)
Thas a rummun !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Leeks and Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 17:52:18 »
Beetroot straight out once they have a couple of true leaves... about 5 in total. The Leeks wait a bit, I've just pricked out 60 Lyon and 60 Autumn Giant, and now it has stopped snowing and there is still some light I'm going to do some more!
 ;D

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 18:13:45 »
Cheers Saddad, the leeks are about 1 1/2 inches high at the min, what sort of size is big enough to prick out then?  :)
Thas a rummun !!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 22:55:34 »
I have always put beetroot straight in the ground as seed. Always come up trumps. Usually grow Boltardy, though gonna also try Detroit little ball this year. Anyone grown it? And does it need starting in trays?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 23:29:09 »
The only reason I sow a cell tray full of beetroot is to gain a slightly earlier crop as I loves them!  In a couple of weeks time, I will start sowing directly right through until September.  Pulled the last of mine last weekend and have been enjoying them all week.

Leeks are all through, but still to small for pricking out.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 23:31:17 »
If you can get hold of the leek it can be pricked out...
Beetroot can go straight in...
 ;D

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 14:40:43 »
some say leeks can be planted out when 8inches tall and about the width of a pencil. beetroot as soon as they are up.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 15:02:18 »
So leeks can be left in those little cell trays until they are like pencils?   Will the roots be okay?  I have some that are about 2 inches tall and my space for them on the lottie isn't ready yet!  Was worrying that I was being cruel leaving them in the cells!
 :)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 15:07:07 »
I always mollycoddle my beetroot and plant them in paper pots 1st (only because I love them so much and don't want to lose a seedling EVER!) But this year I'm going to experiment and put half in pots and half straight in.

Leeks are hardy little geezers though. I plant them out when they're about 3-4 inches tall. They sit there in the soil looking a bit fragile for a day or so but I've never lost one yet  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 15:11:38 »
I don't even put 'em in cell trays Sally. Leeks don't hold grudges you know - in fact the RSPCL had to shut down because of lack of membership  ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 15:14:37 »
I don't even put 'em in cell trays Sally. Leeks don't hold grudges you know - in fact the RSPCL had to shut down because of lack of membership  ;D

That's good to know - I'll practise seedling removal on them then if they don't mind a bit of roughing up!
 ;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 15:18:42 »
YEAAAAH! Treat 'em mean  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 17:02:40 »
Evening all, Leek police here anybody seen Trixiebelle, shes wanted in four counties for cruelty to leeks. >:(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 18:20:12 »
I've got a laywer .. don't mess with me Kev  8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 18:49:13 »
Got you bang to rights Trix, imformation has LEEKED out about your activitys we've got you bang to rights we know our ONIONS.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 18:59:05 »
I'm a hand-chive baby!

Don't mess with my compost Corny .. you'll soon know what it means to meet and greet my chicken-nuts heap with a SMILE on your face

Has anyone got any advice about spring onions BTW?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 19:07:03 »
I always sow beetroot direct and fairly thickly so that I have plenty of "thinnings" for baby beats - luv 'em too pickled/boiled/roasted mmmm

Leeks we always sow in a deep pot (10" deep) and again thickly.  That way their roots can stre-e-e-tch and as said they are pretty tough and can tolerate being gently pulled apart for planting out when big enough.

Kev, am sure Trixie is only kidding - we know she is really the Mother Earth type who probably croons lullabies to her seedlings ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 19:20:05 »
  ;)

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 17:24:34 »
I read somewhere that when leeks are big enough ( pencil size as has already been said) yo can stick the whole rootball (pot) in a bucket of water , and the soil/compost will just wash away and they will be ready to plant without any pulling or root disturbance.
I did it like this last year and it was good. I luurrve leeks.
and beetroot too - I plant some in trays to get them off early - then through the season in the ground wherever I can squeeze them in.
Terri

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal