Author Topic: Robins and nestboxes  (Read 1963 times)

Toadspawn

• Acre
Robins and nestboxes
« on: March 13, 2007, 15:27:38 »
I have always been under the impression that Robins will nest in open-fronted boxes if you are lucky.
I have an open-fronted nest box and  a nest box with a hole slightly larger than that usual for Great Tits situated about 2-3' above ground level  and in open view and about 10' apart. The open-fronted nest box has an accumulation of leaves in it and I thought 'great' a Robin is nesting because there was one nearby with dried leaves in its beak. I was surprised however to see the bird go into the box with the hole. All day yesterday and again today it has been taking lots of nesting material into the box and at one point fought off the attention of a pair of Great Tits looking for a nest site.
Is this unusual for Robins to nest in this type of nest box?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Robins and nestboxes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 18:12:04 »
Yes it is. Robins make a very flat nest with just a slight hollow, a bit like budgies. Having said that, I spotted 3 families of crow nesting inside holes in a tree just this morning. I'll get a pic this week of that unusual happening.
I made a robin nest box for my plot, it's here and it worked for at least 2 years.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 18:26:13 »
Hi KK
I wonder are your 'crows' actually Jackdaws. They always nest in holes in trees, cliffs, chimney pots etc. Crows build an untidy nest of sticks in trees.

I hope the Robin lays eggs and hatches out chicks, the box is only about 6' from my window and very easy to watch and hopefully the adults will become tame especially if I feed them with mealworms. Its the using of the box with the small hole that really surprises me because generally they prefer an open site in a shed, underneath tree roots etc. or an open box a bit like yours.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 19:07:25 »
Could be jackdaws, I was quite a way off with my bino's and they scarpered when I got closer. Hoping to get a better sight later this week. To see at least 3 families in the same tree was a first for me. Looking forward to trying to get a pic.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 22:09:39 »
Jackdaws are smaller than crows, with a distinctive sharper call. The back of the head is a bit squared off, and the nape of the neck is grey rather than black.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 22:31:09 »
Twelve days after the Robin started building in a nestbox with an entrance hole rather than an open-fronted nestbox the first egg has been laid.  The box was filled with moss gathered from the low wall very nearby and the nest cup has been beautifully lined with horsehair gathered the neighbouring horses. Haven't seen the birds at the nestbox for days but the pair are always in the garden and taking sunflower hearts from the feeder and eating from the home-made fat cake. Hopefully they will become tame enough to take meal worms from my hand.

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 23:33:54 »
i have been lucky enough to have robins nest in a box for the last 2 years - it is a box similar to a tit box, but the hole is bigger.
the year before that, the robins nested in an old window box ( attached to my shed) - they are showing great interest in it again this year.  This was wonderful, as I could watch them in the nest through the grubby window of the shed - complete time wasters - but wonderful!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal