Author Topic: Wren/Swallow nest  (Read 3429 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Wren/Swallow nest
« on: March 19, 2007, 20:02:39 »
I have watched a little wren build an addition to the swallows nest and here is the pic.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Wren/Swallow nest
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 20:06:59 »
that's beautiful, where is it, next to a door or a window?  :)

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 20:31:22 »
Yes, its a scruffy looking window but its beside the garage and is right on a corner.  I enjoyed watching the swallows in that nest, they have used that nest a couple of times but hopefully I can enjoy the wrens this spring. 

;) ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 21:01:58 »
I wonder what will happen when the swallows return, could be a battle for territory.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 21:10:11 »
I've heard that Mr Wren, hard-working little chap, builds more than one nest and then takes Mrs Wren around them so that she can make her choice!

Certainly we've had wrens build nests here which are not used (one year in a hanging basket).  Currently he's building one in the ivy up an old apple tree, so will wait to see if it's the chosen one .....

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 21:37:42 »
I think I have heard that as well Greyhound.  I do like the Swallows using it and if Mrs Wren dont like it I will revert it back to Swallows nest again, unless thats against the Law?   ::) ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 21:53:46 »
The law's got nothing to say if the bird isn't using it.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 23:52:35 »
Wrens nest every year under the eaves of my kitchen....when the babies come along I can't open the window in case they fly in :-\ Mr. and Mrs. are very busy at the moment. It's lovely to see them again 8)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 00:17:57 »
That is an amazing thing to see Carol, thanks for sharing, its a delight to the eye  :-*

Greyhound you are exactly spot on with your info, wrens can build up to eight or so nests and then as you say, takes the wife around to check them out,lucky woman isn't she, having such a huge choice of residence  ;D

For probably something like five years on the trot, a wren would make a nest in my hanging basket, it was always a pleasure to watch and see him so close working away but the year that we had the conservatory built was the last year that the wren used my basket as a nest as the opening door was very close to the nest, and i think it frightened him off.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:34:57 »
Recycling at its best Carol! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 13:22:32 »
Blimey, I've become a link.  Feel very important! 

Greyhound

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 20:41:03 »
Caught up with you at last Greyhound!!

I just wanted to say thank you. You encouraged me to join this site,had it not been for your suggestion I would not have known about it. It took me a while to pluck up the courage, a full year I think, but it was a good choice.

I am enjoying the forum very much and the knowledge here is extraordinary.

Thank you again.

The picture shown above is a sheer delight, thank you for sharing it, I do apologise for bursting in on your link, but I am glad I did as again I found something smashing.

Thank you Greyhound XXXXX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 22:24:03 »
I think everyone would agree you've brought a great deal here yourself, Jeannine.

The tomato seeds you sent me all those months ago are up and soon to be potted ....  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 17:42:52 »
A wren has built in a bunch of garlic plaits hanging from my shed roof over the last week. It's too early to tell whether Mrs Wren will actually use it. I didn't have the camera this week due to my daughter's birthday, but it should have come back by next weekend.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal