Author Topic: Poisoning ivy  (Read 2011 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Poisoning ivy
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:41:27 »
Last October I stripped back away from a garage wall to keep it out of the eves. Today I notice that a stem must have grown between the tightly butted garages and has now invaded the interior. Will 'Round-Up' be strong enough to kill off this hidden 3 metre stem? If not, what will. There's no point in simply cutting it back - we know what's going to happen then!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Poisoning ivy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 14:55:43 »
kenkew Hope somebody can answer.. I am fed up with pulling ivy away from the brickwork of an outhouse.
Lorna,

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 15:03:39 »
Do you just want to kill the bit in the garage or all the ivy?

If all the ivy;  then providing the ivy is growing spraying should be OK i.e. plants must be growing before systemic herbicides can do their work.

If you want to save the ivy outside then you will have to trace the runner back to its source and cut it off.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 18:18:07 »
I hope your right Tee Gee as I don't see there is an alternative. The main stem and root are hidden so aren't accessible.  I'm not out to kill the whole thing, just that stem that's out of control and will do damage in time. I've sprayed with Round-Up today and will dose it again next week. I hope that's going to do the trick.
Thanks, and any more advice is welcome.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 21:28:51 »
In desperation I painted a few leaves of the new growth with neat tumbleweed.  Might be a bit drastic, but it worked.

valmarg

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 22:23:52 »
Thanks for help on kenkew's post. I definitely want to get rid of all of my ivy from the outhouse and garage. Just keeping the ivy over the wrought iron fence.
Lorna

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:59 »
I find "Root Out" works on most unwanteds - and it doesn't poison the soil.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:28:15 »
Sorry for being a hippy, but does anyone know of an organic way of solving this? Other than physically ripping the stuff off the wall - I have a particularly inaccessible bit of wall that I can just about spray something on, but wouldn't be able to reach over to prune it.

I'm considering either vinegar, or a flame gun. Or maybe a strong salt solution.. Anyone have any epxerience with either? :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 20:26:09 »
Like I said, check this out:

http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 14:02:45 »
Gave the said leaves and branch a second doing with Round-up today. The leaves don't look happy so I guess something has upset them!
Will do again on Friday.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal