Author Topic: Elderflower Cordial  (Read 12185 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Elderflower Cordial
« on: May 11, 2004, 18:16:37 »
So, on new numero 2 plot I have a rather tatty old elderberry tree, tis going to be severly pruned later in the year, but not before I have plundered all the flowers to make yummy cordial.  I think, if my poor sloe gin damaged memory serves me correctly, it was Gavin who posted a recipe for this somewhere.....but me being in a rush - as usual, off to the circus with the sprogs - any chance of you posting it again for little old me just here?  Ta everso.  :-*  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Elderflower Cordial
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 19:10:06 »
EJ you should make elderflower wine.YUM, or even better, wait for the berries and make elderberry wine..even BIGGER YUM!! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 22:56:10 »
There you go, Emma Jane!

(Remember a couple of plastic bottles in the freezer for happy memories and optimistic dreaming at Christmas and New Year!!!!!)

Ingredients:
20 elderflower heads;
1 lemon (sliced);
2tsp citric acid;
3 1/2lb sugar;
2 1/2 pints boiling water.
  • Put all the dry ingredients into a clean pan. Pour boiling water over. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Skim. Cover with a cloth or lid. Stir twice daily for five days. Strain through muslin and bottle in clean sterile bottles.
  • The cordial can be frozen in plastic bottles (leave space for expansion). Fresh cordial can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
  • Dilute with water, sparkling mineral water or lemonade and serve with slices of lemon and sprigs of mint. Add gin and soda water, or vodka. Make diluted Elderflower Cordial into a delicately refreshing sorbet.
Enjoy!  All best - Gavin

PS Lots of interesting stuff here http://www.patch-work.demon.co.uk/elder.htm

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 23:21:48 »
Ta very much Gavin.  Will monitor the elderflowers, don't wanna miss them, and get down the chemist tomorrow for some citric acid.

Ava and I would love to make our own vino DP, but apart from the time and money it takes - both of which we currently have very little, we would both be alcoholics within days of brewing the stuff!  The sloe gin was consumed almost instantly!!  :o

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 10:22:22 »
Has anyone tried elderflower champagne? I fancy giving it a go -aside from anything else it will force me to bottle some of the elderberry wine to free up a demi-john.

Jeremy

P.S. Don't want to turn you into a dipso E-J :) -but it is very cheap to make your own wine -only cost above the cordial is a sachet of yeast and while demi-johns air-locks &c. are nice they're not necessary as other things can be used instead.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 12:20:31 »
Went to my chemist today and they can no longer get citric acid!  I shall have to keep hunting, but is there something I can use instead?

As for the vino......maybe one day... :P

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 13:54:31 »
1. Elderflower champers - of course - & no yeast needed.

2. Cordial - yes - cook your rhubarb in it. = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 14:00:10 »
1. Elderflower champers - of course - & no yeast needed.

No yeast? Do you just use any that happens to be on the flowers then?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 21:56:33 »
Ooops - citric acid.  Sorry - I'd forgotten that bit.  :(

I'd scribbled the recipe down from somewhere, no idea where now - and I too have not found citric acid.  I just add the juice of a second lemon - seems to work.  Correction - it works well!

All best - Gavin

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 09:36:33 »
db - yes. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 13:09:02 »
Thanks Gavin.  The flowers are fattening up nicely, will moniter closely, don't wanna miss them!  Mind you, if I do, then I will just have to make do with the berries later in the year.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 15:26:08 »
Don't forget to harvest them early in the day EJ and elderflower champagne is easy and wonderful!  A gorgeous refreshing, slightly dry drink but still enough sweetness to suit most palates, superbly suited to summer days in the garden!  ;D  Ideal picnic libation!

I have to confess to making some for a party once, when I did add some wine yeast compound. However, I made mine in 5 gallon beer barrel with air lock. Had exactly the same taste as Gavin's method but one lady, who took quite a fancy to it, suddenly announced she never realised such a light, home made drink could make her so tipsy!  I did try to warn her!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 15:34:53 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 10:50:01 »
Soooooooooo happy!  Elderflowers picked this in the early morning sun with number one son today and now they are in their pan, marninading for a few days before bottling and enjoying!  There are still loads of flowers coming, and I discovered another bush covered, so I may make another batch, then wait for the berries to make some jelly!  Yum!  Roll on sloe season!  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 12:25:12 »
Emma, You cant have your cake and eat it too.  ;) If you have used all the flowers for cordial/champagne, then there will be no berries for jelly. OOO decisions decisions....... booze v jam.   No contest in my mind. :P  Go for the jam ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 21:50:44 »
Let me apologise for my ignorance here....

What do elderflowers look like ???
and
How do you make the champers  ???

Profuse apologies...please help an ignoramus  ;D ;D

Debs

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 21:50:56 »
Let me apologise for my ignorance here....

What do elderflowers look like ???
and
How do you make the champers  ???

Profuse apologies...please help an ignoramus  ;D ;D

Debs

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 11:37:24 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 12:19:43 »
Dunno how to make the champs I'm afraid, come in Doris, Jethro or one of the others who brew, but the flowers are white and in clusters

http://www.overthegardengate.net/garden/archives/template.asp?linkid=288&linkcat=Shrubs

click on this link - hope it works, and you will see some with the rose.   ;D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 21:57:45 »
Hi Debs - found this today, by coincidence.  Haven't a clue if it works or not!

Elderflower Champagne

Mix 1.5 lbs sugar, 2 tbsp wine vinegar, the juice and grated rind of 1 lemon.  Add 8 pints cold water, and 3 large heads of elder flowers.

Stir and let stand for 2 days, then strain and store in screw-top bottles - leave at least 2 inches air space at the top of each bottle.

Drink after 2 weeks - don't store any longer, unless you can seal the bottles with wired-down corks.

All best - Gavin ------------- and if you do try it, let me know if it works!  :)

PS and another from the same book

Hawthorn Brandy

Fill a jar with open hawthorn flowers (remove all the stalks first).  Cover them with brandy and let the liquid stand for a month in a warm place.  Strain through a fine sieve and bottle firmly.

What a waste of good hawthorn flowers!  ???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 22:00:05 by gavin »

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 22:03:38 »
Derbex, EJ and Gavin,

Thankyou so much - I should change my name to Rita as I feel so educated!!

;D Debs  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal