Author Topic: Size of a pumpkin patch  (Read 2364 times)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
Size of a pumpkin patch
« on: April 04, 2007, 13:26:11 »
Hiya,

We have got a new plot about 2 weeks ago and am in the process of digging beds.  We've measured out ten 6ft x 17ft beds, with pathways in between.

Would a patch this size be big enough for pumpkins?  How many do you think we could grow in one patch? My fiance wants to grow some for a halloween party.

(We have a few variety of seeds including hundred weight, jack-o-lantern and a few squashes, among others.)

Cheers,

Ian.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Size of a pumpkin patch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 13:45:33 »
You could  put 3 plants, 2 at one  end of your bed at each side, the other one at the other end but in the middle, as they grow direct the vines the way you want them to go and train them to grow to the other end,they will grow this long. This is only 3 plants which doesn't sound much but it is not a big area pumpkin wise,You may get away with 2 at each end. You can let the plant drop off the bed and let them  wind along the paths too. I personally would only put one at each end but this is hard unless you have a lot of space. Spacing for good pumpkins is actually 12 foot apart in all directions, personally I have to go closer than that, but they will compete for light and food if too close and you will lose  on yield too. your two pumkins mentioned are both big.

Hope this helps.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 13:55:00 »
Hi - I've heard that if you wanna grow a really big pumpkin, you need a 1000lb plot - but I think this would be more for a hobby of giant pumpkin growing! My patch is probably a bit bigger than the one yu have, but I am only growing one plant as I'm trying to get it as big as possible! Hope this helps in one way or another!

Pete

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 19:15:13 »
Ideally.....

Minimum space is approx. 400 sq. ft. per pumpkin plant. Twice that space or even more would be an advantage, and will generally result in larger pumpkins.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 19:45:52 »
No wonder mine never really get that big... they still take some eating though!
 ;D

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 19:38:28 »
400sq foot - OMG! I am not going to tell hubby - he is growing them for a competition with his drinking society, if he finds out I will loose all my plot.  Mind you, haha one of the guys is growing Atlantic Giant in a container - ooops.

Helen

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:43:03 »
 :D Tinkie Bear - ai definitely wouldn't tell your hubby if I were you - if he were to look around he would find that the growers that grow for a living have up to 1000sq ft. per plant! However, growing one in a container is another extreme...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal