Author Topic: Big max pumpkin  (Read 7902 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Big max pumpkin
« on: March 15, 2007, 20:56:33 »
Has anyone grown this variety? I was out buying onion sets today, and spotted a packet. I may not get anything worth entering in the competition - I've never tried growing a big one, and don't intend to try too hard - but I want a decent sized one for a 'guess the weight' competition to raise a bit of money for the church.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Big max pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 21:30:40 »
Got some to try this year Rob but not grown them yet... we could prepare notes later!!!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 21:35:59 »
Mine are planted, have three true leaves on now XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 21:40:27 »
This will be my first 'Big Max' year too.

cj :)

GrantsPumpkins

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:44:38 »
If you want to get a giant Pumpkin all you need is good seeds its worth checking out www.bigpumpkins.com sign up make friends and people could send you seeds

I have made friends with Ian.P Who won UK heaviest Pumpkin 2006 and he was so nice that he gave me seeds from it.

Big Maxx are great to start of the do get to a great size i had grown some last year they were great!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 10:44:58 »
Thanks; I'll do my best then!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 19:25:19 »
Have you seen the price of the seeds on the site above,$20 a seed 3 for $50 and that is not the expensive ones. I am not that dedicated, I think I will stick to me challenge with CarolineJ and go for the smallest one. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 20:45:59 »
Hey Jeannine, do you think the winner could make any money on ebay selling prizewinning smallest pumpkin seeds?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 20:58:48 »
Are you thinking of trying? I bet someone would buy them,probably....me

XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 21:01:45 »
Well, they reckon you can sell any old rubbish on ebay, so maybe the winner could try, just for a laugh! Who knows, could be the start of a 'smallest vegetable' collection.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 21:08:07 »
Well I guess that will be me then..I shall have to think up a name for my  little seeds like the posh growers do.Do you think I could get £10 a seed though,plus P&P of course,I saw one seller charging £9 P&P for sunflower seeds that cost .99p on a Buy It Now, now theres a clever fella.

mmmm. Little seeds  mmmmmmmmmmmm

Guaranteed to grow the smallest pumpkins in the world, from record breaking stock,some are so small you need  a.........................................................
go on Caroline,you do the next bit

XX Jeannine.  PS Maybe we should make  go in business together,

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 21:42:25 »
Guaranteed to grow the smallest pumpkins in the world, from record breaking stock,some are so small you need  a.........................................................

..........dozen per teaspoonful.

..........tweezers to pick them.

..........magnifying glass to find the harvest.

.........sniffer dog to find them.

.........good imagination to know what they look like.

Do you think any of them are catchy enough? What are your suggestions?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 22:43:43 »
I think we should start a baby pumpkin thread before we get kicked off here for messing up the  Big Max one XX Jeannine

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 17:17:25 »
Hi. I'm a newbie and only got my allotment at the weekend. I know I have a few weeks of hard graft and digging ahead of me before I can realistically plant anything, but I was wondering how late I can plant pumpkins? I have a Halloween party every year and thought it would be fantastic to have my own pumpkins at it!  ;D   If its not too late, could anyone advise me on what seeds to buy?

Thanks

Toni

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 20:02:52 »
Get them in ASAP. What size pumpkin are you aiming for? If you want a normal-size one, I could send you some seed.

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 10:48:56 »
Hi.   I was thinking of doing Jack O Lantern and HundredWeight, or Mammoth (or some big ones!!).   I was going to start in pots and than plant out when I have cleared a plot on the allotment and they've established. Would you reccommend this? I've also had other advice saying to plant them out in April. Could you also please inform me of anything else I need to know? ie, water, sun, manure or not?

Thanks in advance

Toni
Toni

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 15:53:20 »
Get them in ASAP. What size pumpkin are you aiming for? If you want a normal-size one, I could send you some seed.

???
Far too early. Wait at another month yet. When planting out  use 50%manure in a hole a good 2 foot square
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 16:01:28 by Travman »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 16:47:20 »
Planting early does no harm, and in a bad year, it can make all the difference.

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 20:31:57 »
well this is my first allotment and i'm not too sure on the quality of soil or the quality of my skills  :D    so i was going to plant them early.  some people have said that theirs havent grown too well so i think i could probably do with a head start!!!  ;D      i may try them a month apart and see which set i get on better with.

Thank you

Toni
Toni

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 18:28:37 »
Robert, I grew Big Max last year - only got four pumpkins from 3 plants (and didn't remove any as they were developing) but was pretty pleased with them.  We only managed to eat a quarter of one of them though - they're pretty big when you start to eat them !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal