Author Topic: My front garden... plant recommendations please  (Read 1651 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
My front garden... plant recommendations please
« on: January 26, 2007, 13:07:48 »
I'm hoping to work on my tiny front garden this year, but I'm not really much of a flower gardener (or any sort of gardener, come to that!). In particular, I'd like to grow things like peonies, double bloomed roses, stocks, lavender. The sort of flowers I had in my wedding bouquet [rare fluffy moment]

To maximise the space, I've thought about growing a climbing rose, but I'm particularly in love with the big double blooms. Like these http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=4386. It would need to grow to about 7ft in height and perhaps 10ft in width over my front door and window. Could anyone recommend something like this which flowers really well. Would a climber like this damage my brickwork over time?

Could anyone recommend anything else I could grow. My fromt garden is about 5ft by 12ft and mostly just bark. You can tell my tastes are for big, fluffy scented flowers so anything of that ilk would suit  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: My front garden... plant recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 14:14:54 »
Quote; Could anyone recommend anything else I could grow.

Because peoples preferences are different I don't usually advise particular plants but to help you can have a look in here http://tinyurl.com/ylmj3z where I have listed some suggestions to suit particular conditions.

Click on the specific item and you will be linked to a picture & cultural instructions.

Quote;Would a climber like this damage my brickwork over time?

If you mean would a rose damage the brickwork the answer is no because it would have to be supported on wires or trellis.

I think you are thinking in terms of Ivies which cling to the wall surface.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get what you want.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 14:40:04 »
I think the direction / amount of sun will have some effect on what you can grow successfully.

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 15:24:18 »
Best advice I was given was to go out and buy something in flower every month, then there is always something to look at.

Can I put a vote in for Penstemon please

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 15:43:08 »
I have a New dawn beside & over my porch.  Not a big double flower but an often suggested rose for low maintnance.  Thing to bear in mind is new shoots as you can get tangled up in them when trying to get through the door & in the summer, that can mean scratches. 
Doesn't bother me as we use the back door, postie tells me when it needs containment!

is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

mattplants

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:35:38 »
You definately need to do your homework when it comes to selecting the right plants. You need to assess your soil quality , shade levels and
exposure.

I recommend a plant finder; htp://www.findmeplants.co.uk is as good as any and its British!

Matt

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 20:35:04 »
Cover in in Low growing Conifers and Bulbs Under Neath And Heathers  ;D
i don't belive death is the end

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:34:16 »
What's your soil like? Is it particularly boggy/dry/clay/sand/acid/alkali? What weeds grow there naturally? And how much sun does it get?

As an example, we have a front garden that gets midday/afternoon full sun, and I've been stuffing it full of frothy cottage garden flowers. I spend hardly any time on it. Ours is edged with lavender, and the roses I have in the front are: Dioressence, climbing Mme Gregoire Stachelain, New Dawn, Felicia, Rhapsody in Blue.. All either very pretty and/or smelly. You might want to look at the Stachelain rose as that's a good climber. I find New Dawn a bit wishy-washy in full sun.

Other things to consider: Gaura, Lavatera, Sidalcea, perennial sweet peas, sweet williams.. Definitely agree with the 'buy something in flower every month' comment - seems to be working for me.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 23:26:04 »
You could always take a walk alon your road and see what the neighbours are growing. If there is anything you like the look of, either ask the owner, or take a pic (or, on a dark night take a cutting) and take to your local garden centre to identify.

This should give you a good idea of what type of soil/aspect/growing conditions you have, and your garden centre should be able to advise you on plants will fit your reqirements.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal