Author Topic: Storage of leeks  (Read 1146 times)

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
Storage of leeks
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:46:04 »
I still have quite a few leeks in my plot from last year and I have already decided what will be grown there this year.  I need to get the plot dug but I don't want to waste the leeks and there is a limit to how many I can eat! :D

Any suggestions on storage?  Should I lift them?  Could they be replanted somewhere else in tighter bunches?  Do they freeze very well?

Thank you!
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Re: Storage of leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:09:35 »
Hi - yes they freeze well, but if you prefer them fresh you can "heel them in". This involves digging a shallow trench in a part of the plot you will not need for a few weeks, digging up your leeks gently with plenty of soil on the roots and putting them into the trench all bunched together to the depth - or a bit shallower - as they were in growing position. I think the real experts heel them in at an angle, but I don't understand why - anyone know???
Chantenay.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:13:56 »
What happens if you leave them growing, do they split like onions?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 11:28:41 »
They flower and they quickly lose the leafy bit that we eat. The flowers are handsome, and you can save the seed eventually, but they take up space, of course.

I have heeled leeks in and found they went soft and peculiar. But that's only my experience.

I think I would freeze them in very concentrated leek soups and so on that I could add potatoes to when thawed. Or leeks in cheese sauce, or whatever it is that you like eating. Or fry chunks gently in a little butter for a few minutes, quickly cool and freeze, and carry on cooking them later when thawed?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 13:50:00 »
I just freeze them, and use them over the summer. I've got a lot this year, so I'll probably do a big pot of leek soup at some point.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 15:33:13 »
same here, Robert..good for stews and casseroles  :)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 16:30:22 »
we use them to make leek and potato soup with the last of the spuds. However we also freeze plenty and they freeze well either chopped sliced or whole. No need to blanch.
G

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 19:39:59 »
While healing them in is good, beware that they will start to go woody soon. Therefore, freezing may be better, depending on how many you have.

Spyros

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 13:35:59 »
on the subject of leeks, can anybody give any advice on propagation?
i've got a trayful of hannibal leek seeds that have germinated very quickly indoors into 4 inch long shoots. at what point do i transplant into deeper soil etc? and how deep down do i plant them this time round?

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 20:26:46 »
Last year I transplanted my leeks when they were about 5-6".  I think this may have been a little too small.  Take a look at http://www.garden-centre.org/Leek.htm as there is some useful tips there.

Good luck!
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 09:30:46 »
brilliant link theres tons of info on more than just leeks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal