Author Topic: Do I have to prick out leeks?  (Read 10241 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
Do I have to prick out leeks?
« on: May 10, 2004, 14:58:17 »
Me again,

I have a lovely seed tray full of little leeky seedlings. Do I absolutely have to prick them out into individualette pots before I finally put them in the ground? Can I not just leave them in the seed tray (looking a bit like a piece of turf!) until it is big dibber time?

Thanks,

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Do I have to prick out leeks?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 16:19:48 »
They should be about 1" apart & pencil thick before you plant out. I don't think mine will make that size this year - as with everything, they are being abominably slow. = Tim

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 16:44:19 »
Oh doom much pricking out to come then. I'm going to have to make another 57 paper pots.

)£*&%($*&)"£_£)"$_  >:(

Ten x

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 17:07:20 »
I didn't bother with some of them - just left them in the tray until they were about 8 inches tall. Others I had sown in cells. Had much fun last year with the handle end of the hoe making holes. Some authorities suggest to cut the long roots before planting them in holes, but I personally, don't think this is necessary.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 18:34:28 »
OKay....leeky question then.....I grew mine in modules, one seed per cell, and low and behold, they are all growing like the clappers.  Now, I am assuming that I don't have to dib a hole, just plant as I have been planting most things, altho plant them deeper so part of the leeky stem/leaf is covered.  ??? ???

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 18:40:42 »
No great shakes on veggies EJ but would definitely recommend dibbing nice holes!  Get better results in my experience.  Much longer stretch of light green, otherwise think you might get too much top growth!
Muddy Boots

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 18:43:08 »
In answer to your question Ten,i have never pricked my Leeks out i just grow them in a pot and they stay there untilI have room to put them out in the garden.I hold the clump under running water if the roots are a little tangled.
Ej I have never grown them this way so will leave some of the experts toanswer yours but main question that springs to mind is how are you going to blanch them.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 20:22:45 »
EJ - if you make a hole about 6 inches deep with the other end of a hoe (handle end) with the appropriate spacing apart, plonk the leek in and fill the hole up with water, and the leeks should be happy. You can, if you have time, then earth up later in the season... If you don;t have time, then no worries as you should already have a blanched bit of stem - i.e. the white of the leek.
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 21:59:04 »
Just spoken to the bloke that leads the collective running the two plots next to ours.  He suggested topping and tailing them - cut the roots so that there is 1/2" or so left and then sticking them in a six inch hole.  Water in and then water in the next day and then leave them be until they're ready.

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 22:32:26 »
Have heard about the chopping of roots, but I don't think this is necessary - though I suppose shorter roots make it easier to plonk in the holes.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 07:04:39 »
1. Trim the tops, more likely.
2. I always dib a 10" hole. Even more blanching!
3. As said, water in - but DON'T fill in.
4. As to the ones you don't have the patience to separate, just use them as mini-leeks.
5. Oh yes! - don't forget to plant with the leaves in line down the row!! = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 09:47:49 »
Last year I planted mine out as mini-leeks pulling intermediate ones as I went along and leaving some to fatten up. Seemed to work better with the start(r)ak than the ones beginning with A(lorza?). that I planted although the last 2 of these are now quite big.

Doing it again this year -use the little ones like spring onions or even chives.

EJ I think I did some in modules and I did bib them and earth them up/shove mulch around them later.

J.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 12:37:11 »
Excellent.  So plan is, when they are a bit bigger, and I have the room, the leeks will go in thus:

Dig a hole with trowel, good and deep.
Remove leek from the cell, soil and all.
Plop into the bottom of the deep hole.
Fill deep hole with water to allow the earth to trickle in.
Repeat with water the following day, then forget all about 'em.
Mulch during the course of the year to make an eve longer white stem.

How does that sound?  ;D

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 20:41:43 »
Hmm I am in two minds now as to whether to prick out or not, I am not sure they will get enough nutrients in the seed tray they are in to make them pencil sized.

I think it is all down to time and weather!

Ten x

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 10:59:18 »
Forget everything that I have ever said.

Whenever I've ordered back-up leeks before, I've received a bundle of thingies that have been about 6" long, & stiff enough to stand straight. So what do I get this year?? See below.

So I ask what the * do I do with them? I dib a 10" hole. They'll be lost & sag & dry out? No - they'll be fine!!

I just don't believe it!! So I'm deep in thought. = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 21:34:46 »
I planted my autumn leeks out today - before I saw this thread. 9inch dibber holes, deposit the leek tray in a bowl of water and wait until the leeks float free, then drop them in the holes.  Once they were watered in about an inch of leek top showed above the tops of the holes. No need to trim the roots (they would only have to make new ones), and only trim the tops when there`s 8 or 9 inches showing. Always works for me.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 09:32:03 »
I suppose one should try every way & assess the difference. But, like you, Hugh, I'll soldier on in the old rut.

Although there's nothing wrong with Emma's 'trickle of earth', I do my best to dib a clean hole - the soil has to be moist & not crumbly - so that no soil gets in, allowing maximum room for expansion.

And here's the machine! Goes in to the handle. = Tim

I GIVE UP!! I've reduced it to 350, then 250 & it STILL shouts at you - sorry!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 09:33:25 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 13:03:56 »
Last year I grew all my seedlings in a tray until planting out time. I flooded the tray with water to help loosen the the roots. Some I trimmed the roots, some I didn't. Those I didn't trim grew bigger! So it seems if you want smaller leeks, trim.
This year I'm trying module leeks and 'tray' leeks. So far the modules are only slightly ahead of the trays, and niether are big enough to plant out. One tray I p-ricked out into plastic drinking cups. These are ahead of the others.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 13:05:04 by kenkew »

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2004, 13:47:31 »
OK then I am going to be lazy - the onions I grew from seed grew pretty big in their trays before I pricked them out so i am going to assume the same will happen to my lovely leeks!

Ten x

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2004, 16:16:15 »
I really must stop preaching ancient edicts (tried 'addicts' & it didn't look right - but same in the end?).
'Pencil thickness' for leeks? Rubbish!

These are 12" long & a lot thinner than any pencil, but going out today. = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal