Author Topic: Hens-Nest-box plans  (Read 3488 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Hens-Nest-box plans
« on: March 08, 2007, 23:53:23 »
End of March I've promised to make a nesting box for a friends hens. I could manage OK but if there's plans out there for one made from wood it might save me some time??

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Hens-Nest-box plans
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:50:29 »
Hi KK do you mean the nesting box inside a coup or the coup itself.
I built all my hens stuff by going to a shop and looking at how someone else had done one.
- then i ignored all the proper joints and built one with 2x2 and 6" nails :D

after seeing some of your other work Im sure youll probably do a better job than the professional ones so lets have some pictures when your finished along with the happy hens

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:40 »
It's for hens to lay in. Not sure just what's required until I get to the UK end of March. I think it's a case of knocking something up with whatever wood they have around the farm.
Thanks for the link...I'll take a look later today.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 09:00:44 »
It's for hens to lay in.
ours lay in an old draw from a cupboard!
they have 4 nest boxes as I was initialy told to provide 1 for every 3 birds. the hens being hens all lay in one box and queue to lay or all try and cram in at once - not the brightest birds

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 14:27:46 »
I'll take pics of mine at the weekend - freebie that was given to me... then i have inbuilt nest boxes in teh henhouses too.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 14:34:06 »
Mine lay in an old TV cabinet on its side.  Yes they all have to lay in exactly the same spot & fight each other for it or just sit on top of each other.  Very silly birds.  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 15:30:53 »
These are mine. I now have more underneath since the picture was taken as my flock has increased by 11.

They are about 1ft high, 10inches wide.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 17:36:48 »
Looks good, KT....Me thinks that will be something on the lines my friends are looking for.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 17:37:17 »
Mine are using an old speaker box without the speaker in. Saw it on the side of the road and had to get the car to collect it as its quite heavy.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 19:15:09 »
Do yours all use the same box KT or do they spread themselves out like sensible girls?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 19:30:49 »
What's a 'sensible girl' please?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 19:45:09 »
The opposite of a stupid boy - obviously!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 19:56:57 »
Heres a pic of three of our nest boxes.  The roof sloping so as to stop the hens from perching on it and covering it in poop. The roof is hinged and lifts up where I can hook it up and retrieve the eggs.

The boxes themselves are about 12 by 18 inches.   Not really big enough for our Buff Orpington hens who walk in and then have to back out.  They'll be getting new supersized nests as soon as OH has free time.  Bet they won't use them though. All the hens queue up for the the left bos and the middle box. The right one is least favourite and it's a really desperate hen who goes in there but when you gotta go,you gotta go.  ;D

One bad point about it. The wooden bar that runs along the front on the floor should be hinged or removeable to make cleaning out easier. Or OH thinks some sort of tray affair to slide in and out would have been better for ease of cleaning.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 20:26:12 »
Do yours all use the same box KT or do they spread themselves out like sensible girls?

They all use the same box except one. The hen that started laying first has laid in the same box since she started. I have even placed an egg in each bay but they dont bother. They take all the straw out the others and stockpile it in one.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 07:04:41 »
My integrated nest boxes are just one long one... though they usually end up laying on top of whatever eggs are normally there and then the broodys usually gather them up and sit on them for the rest of the day.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 19:08:54 »
Our nest boxes, house is 4ft wide be glad when warmer weather comes to scrub and paint it up again. OH's handy work yes they like the right hand box the best.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal