Author Topic: Orchid Help  (Read 1129 times)

robynsgarden

• Not So New ...
Orchid Help
« on: March 10, 2007, 14:25:51 »
Please can anyone help with my Orchid?

I recieved an orchid as a gift last summer, it flowered for about 3 months (I think) then the flowers dropped off within about 2 weeks and then the leaves fell off ,it looked like a stick in some soil!  :o I cut the stick back and left it be.
Someone else then bought me another orchid just before christmas, which flowered for about 4-6 weeks and the flowers dropped off.  >:( it still has leaves but just looks like a green stick in soil.
Are they both dead or will they spring back to life? What should I be doing with them? ???

Please help!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Orchid Help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 23:56:37 »
Do you know what varieties of orchids they were?

valmarg

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:49:44 »
I think knowing what type they were would definitely help. 

Overwatering might be the problem, how much and how often are you watering?  Also some orchids are deciduous.

If it's any consolation, the first orchid I ever had lost all it's leaves and I assumed it was dead, but later read somewhere that it might have just been resting..I shall never know!  I think if an orchid is resting you have to leave it dry until it starts to show signs of life again, and then you can start watering it again, but I'm no expert, I have very little luck getting my moth otchids to flower again, but my dendrobiums are great for flowering :-)

SP

robynsgarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 17:59:42 »
Hmmm I have no idea what variety they are! They didn't have little cards with them.

(I do know they both had white and pink flowers and the second one came from Tesco!)

I'm not much help really

I'll keep them both if they might be resting, I did think that there's no way they're over watered as I always forget (probably under watered) but my rather efficient other half just informed me that he waters them both every week.

Do you have any idea how long resting goes on for? Are we talking months or years  ??? They're not he most decorative items I have at the moment  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal