Author Topic: Tropical Trip!  (Read 3526 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Tropical Trip!
« on: May 09, 2004, 14:54:15 »
Look where I went yesterday! ;D
http://www.architecturalplants.com/

The costliest plant we saw was £6500.00!! :o  Managed to leave with 3 different plants, and a small dent in our credit card! (Mr. Pinks was groaning loudly!!!)

Bought Yucca Gloriosa, (OK not SO different!) Lobelia Tupa, and Geranium Maderense. Hopefully I wont kill off the last 2! :-\  

Thought of Magpie Di and Emma as I was wandering around, oh and it is near a village called Shipley..Tis a sign Emma!!  Dottie P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:Tropical Trip!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 14:59:30 »
Boy what a fantastic place Dottie.Glad it's not up here.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 16:42:28 »
You could visit BB!! ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 19:42:29 »
Oooohh DP !! I really fancy the Canna Iridiflora, described as 8 ft of screaming exotica ! :o  :o How about you EJ ??

You'll love the Geranium !! Needs plenty of space. Mine gets to about 3-4ft ht & sp, and the climate up here is more like Antarctica than Madeira  ::)  so yours could reach double!!  ;D
Lost it some winters, so save seed just in case ! Easy germination, fortunately  :)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 22:11:29 »
Stop it woman!  Like I need an excuse!!  Many years ago I received their catalogue, and after drooling for many hours, I binned it and promised never to darken their pages again.  The wounds you have opened this time may never heal! If money were no object, I have just sat here and spent thousands of cyber pounds! The things I could have around my new pond!!!!!!!!!  I really do fancy the agaves, not great with the kids, nothing like poking their eyes out, but I just love 'em.  Have tried to grow them from seed but never any joy.  So, have ordered a catalogue and tis only about 2 hours drive away.....no....stop...please...don't take me.....stop.....  ;)

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 22:54:53 »
You mean these two EJ and DP ??  ;D

Well, guess what I've got in my greenhouse ........with babies!!   :o   ;D   Will put my armour on and try to cut out an offset of each for you both.........if you like ! Really, really vicious tho' !!
Actually nicked them from the Algarve many years ago, but don't tell anyone !!  ;)  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 22:59:02 »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!  oh great one!  I bow to you ;D  Get the armour on!! ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 23:03:33 »
Dear MagpieDi who art our tropical gardening genius, expert be your name, thy gardens lush, thy conservatories packed, in the earth as is in your potting compost..... :-\

Sorry, overcome with emotion.  Don't poke an eye out whatever you do, you fabulous person you!  And we won't tell if you don't  ;)  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 23:12:18 »
Depends on what sized plants we get in the way of hush money EJ! ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 23:15:35 »
True Doris.  Do you think we should warn our postmen of the imminent dangers when handling our....ahem...packages?   :o ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 23:16:14 by EJ - Emma Jane »

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 23:21:51 »
Hehehehe!!

Gawd...can't believe I've offered to do this!! Tackling 4ft by 4ft spikey monsters !! Might need to borrow me a chainsaw.......preferably with a fireman attached!!  :o  :-*  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 23:23:47 »
Cor you are going to need a big jiffy bag to fit in the fireman who will of course be looking after our plants.  :o ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 23:26:46 »
Hahahaha!!

Sorry girls !!........He won't have much life left in him after helping me out !!  :o  ;)  ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 22:53:11 »
Well, here it is girls !!   ;D

" How would you like to tackle this magnificent specimen!! " ( As the bishop said to the actress !! )   ;D  :o  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 23:19:20 »
Well, the firemen that you have tackling the beast need only be dressed from the head up.  Just some safety goggles to prevent and serious damage and a helmet incase a piano falls from the sky :o    ;D

Tis a beaut Di, wish I could get the darn things to grow from seed, but alas I am useless  :'(.  Looks well packed into its pot, do they do best when pot bound?

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 23:18:01 »
Well, EJ, one reason is because this is where they have to spend the winter !

So, if I give them any more root run, they won't have a home to overwinter in!  :(   Suppose I will eventually have to give them away and start again with offsets.
Oh, and the other reason for being potbound...........i just keep putting the awful job off each year !!  ::)  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 13:07:34 »
What a fab view Di!  And what a gorgeous garden!  And a handsome greenhouse too.  I have the same room problem with my narnars.  One of the conservatory giants is now at the roof and there really isn't anywhere else for it to go, so it will have to live in the garden this summer......but come winter..... :'( :-[ :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal