Author Topic: pumpkins or squash?  (Read 2861 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
pumpkins or squash?
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:50:37 »
Hi everyone, :D,
                   I have sown baby bear & supreme delight pumpkins, they are in the heated propagator and just beginning to show through. I would like your comments on how i am going to grow them. They are both trailing varieties, so i plan to plant them on the lottie by spacing them 4 feet apart in holes dug out and filled with compost & manure, then i will cover the site with weed suppressing fabric and let them go :o  Does this seem Ok? by the way I will surround them with plastic bottle sleeves to keep off you know who. What is the difference between a squah & a pumpkin?
       thanks for any comments ,Adrian. 8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:pumpkins or squash?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 21:48:10 »
I have no idea what the difference is - I kinda think of all those types of plants as being squashes.  Did a search on www.thefreedictionary.com and it lists all sorts of definitions, but seems to hint that pumpkins and members of the cucurbitacea family and guords are all squashes!  Someone will tell us the technicalities I'm sure.

Anyhow, that is more or less exactly how I am going to grow all of my squashes, in the ground in the middle of piles of poo!  I am not using the membrane and I am interplanting them with my sweetcorn and sunflowers, and possibly tomatos if I run out of room on my main plot.  I always leave my pumpkins and other squashes to it, just let 'em romp away just nipping them back when they encroach on other areas.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 07:58:13 »
SOmething everyone on my plot does is plant a squash (usually a pumpkin) in their compost heap.  Make your last top up atleast 4 weeks before you want to plant, then make a hole in top of your heap and fill with soil/pot compost, and plant your squash into it.  All the goodness and heat is used, and at the end of season you just break the plant up and dig it into the compost and next year use it on the plot :)

They get some amazing specimens this way, because squashes are very greedy!  Your way of planting sounds fine to me.  Thats how I did it last year.  Some suggestions would be to knock a good size stake in the ground by the plant base, because once its grown its heck to remember where it is to water!! Some people stick half a bottle in for watering, can work but can be overgrown by the plant!!!   If your gonna use plastic membrane have some times or something to raise the squashes off the ground stop them rotting underneath, even give em a half turn occasionally.

I think squash is a general term, whereas pumpkin is specific for the hard skinned type of fruit.  But thats only my guess!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:44:05 »
Adrian,

Why bother with the weed suppressing fabric.

Squashes (or pumkins or marrows or cucumbers) provided a great ground cover and smoither most weeds, the rest can be ahnd pulled.

The fabric also provides a hidding place for the slugs you're trying to avoid  

And, coming from Yorkshire, it saves brass!!!!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 11:03:58 »
Hi, I'm going to follow the E-J 'pile of poo' method (I think you shpuld copyright it :) ). One question I have is do you just let them go or should you pinch out the growing tip?

I want to get at least 1 big (but not too big) pumpkin for halloween, and some for soup from two plants.

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal