Author Topic: Royal Mail - Online postage Purchase  (Read 3190 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Royal Mail - Online postage Purchase
« on: April 27, 2007, 12:34:08 »
Hi Folks,

just been using my postage printing account and thought it  might be useful to spread the news.

The Royal Mail has a website which allows you to print your own, pre-paid postage labels/envelopes

I discovered it a couple of months ago and it is so convenient and saves me a heap of travelling to nearest Post Office, (3 miles away) for stamps and to post items too big for the Village box.
Now I print at home and our helpful 'Postie' takes any parcels too big for the box, with him in his van.   8)

There are no charges other than the actual postage cost, which you determine by entering the weight and 'type' of your letter/packet, system is easy (ish  :P) to use.

I opened an account, depositing £10 to start me off (using credit card), system calculates costs and keeps a running record of what you spend and to whom you have posted items.
If you make a mistake (which I did  ;D) or even forget to post the item, you can reclaim the cost which is automatically credited back to your a/c .

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400043&mediaId=26800663

hope you find it useful
have a great weekend all   ;D  ;D

Mikey

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Royal Mail - Online postage Purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:32:34 »
It is good isnt it - in fact its a godsend really.  Initially they had loads of problems with the system but they are all ironed out now and it pretty much works first time everytime. ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:31:50 »
It is good isnt it - in fact its a godsend really.  Initially they had loads of problems with the system but they are all ironed out now and it pretty much works first time everytime. ;D

Ooooooooooh .... careful OO, the screw it up Gremlins may read A4A  ;D

my only small criticism is the number of steps can be a bit tortuous, as you say 'its a godsend really'

M

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:23:20 »
Thanks Mikey

Have book marked site.  Only problem not sure how acurate my scale at home is.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 14:03:05 »
Thanks Mikey

Have book marked site.  Only problem not sure how acurate my scale at home is.

Jitterbug

Hi JB,

I bought a set of electronic scales last year on Ebay. New from a trader, weighs from 1 grm up to 5 Kg (and also in ozs and pounds) very accurate.
Brand name CAMRY, I think I paid +/- £6, use a lot for Postage and Baking (you should see me in a Pinnie .... ;D  not a pretty sight)

chers
Mikey

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 15:58:21 »
Yep Mikey it's a great site, and as OliveOil says, now it is working properly even better.

You can also now pay for postage of any e-bay items you are selling, directly through PayPal, which I have to say is also very good, except that you cannot cahnge the size or position of the printing - mind you having said all thi, one of the ladies in my local PO doesn't like it, as at least twice a week, I take largere parcels in, all paid and ready to send - and she complians that I'm doing them out of a job!  You just cannot win! :o

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 19:03:44 »
I've been thinking of getting an 0.1g scale - my current one goes to 0.01g - and this sounds like an excellent excuse!

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 20:00:44 »
 mind you having said all thi, one of the ladies in my local PO doesn't like it, as at least twice a week, I take largere parcels in, all paid and ready to send - and she complians that I'm doing them out of a job!  You just cannot win! :o

Kathi

Kathi,

our Postie (who is a not only a Postie but a wonderful source of much 'unpublished' Village news  ;) ;)) kids me about my pre-paid parcels and letters, he wants to know if "Mikey" plans on opening a mail and courier service .....

Seriously though he thinks the Royal Mail web system is a great idea, being a country man himself he knows the difficulties of getting around and thinks anything which makes life easier for rural folks has got to be good

I prepare my parcels and letters and he often takes them with him at the same time as he delivers to us, saves me a 6 mile trip to the Post Office with stuff too big for the Village box.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal