Author Topic: Taking a grape cutting  (Read 938 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Taking a grape cutting
« on: March 08, 2007, 00:17:24 »
Hi, can someone help me about taking cuttings from a grape vine please, I did it a few years ago more by luck then judgement but I can't remember when I did it. I do remember I was chopping back a very large vine in a  neglected greenhouse on a lottie we had that we had just taken over and  I stuck some bits in soil the same as I had for blackcurrants,however I know it was the wrong time to prune the vine because one of our knowledgable lottie goers said" you'll lost that vine it's going to bleed to death" I don't know what he meant and it didn't die, but as I couldn't get in the  greenhouse without an axe almost  I had no choice that day. The cuttings took,it seemed to take forever though.

Sorry for the long tale, suffice to say I really have no idea and was probably lucky.

I want to take a few cuttings and I want to do it right,so

1.When.Ttime of year)
2. How and were to cut
3. What do I plant them in
4. Do I need rooting powder
5. How long do they take before they root and show signs of growth.
7. If I am sending these cuttings in the mail do I have to root them first or can I send them with the cut bit in moist soil or tissue  and let the new owner actually plant it.
8 Anything else I need to know

The grape is a very old Black Hamburg and I want see that the couple of people who want a cutting get a decent chance it taking well

Thank you I know there is someone out there who will Know

xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
Re: Taking a grape cutting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:59 »
If possible layer it into a pot & cut from plant after it has rooted. You could do this now.
If not I would take tip cuttings from new growth in late April.
Hardwood cuttings in the Autumn

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:16:19 »
I once took hardwood cuttings in the autumn, only 2 out of about 6 took. I cut off about 2 inch pieces with a bud in the middle of each piece, then cut the bark off of the underside below the bud and then placed into compost with the bud protruding and the whole pot bagged. I don’t know if this is the best way but I must have read it somewhere at the time.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:35:06 »
Thank you both, I need to get it done, so will keep back end  as a back up plan.
We are redoing the florr area in the greenhouse around the vine so I think the 'In pot ' one not a go for a few weeks,so I think I wil give the April one a shot.It grows like crazy once it wakes up. Thank you for the help XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 13:53:48 »
Have a look in here; http://tinyurl.com/2cd9xk click on picture to enlarge!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 15:18:08 »
Thank you TG, I can do that, bless ya! XX Jeannine

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 19:18:47 »
Interesting method shown, but I just use last year's wood cuttings up to 60cms long, cut at this time of year, just before the sap starts rising. I prune now and just use the prunings. Stick them, the right way up, into old tomato compost in a pot and leave in the cold greenhouse.  They nearly all grow, provided the wood is pencil thickness and matured.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 19:22:25 »
Yes I agree with that method too RF as you can see here; http://tinyurl.com/2fkxbw

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 19:31:25 »
Ooh Thank you again I can still do that now I think,XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal