Author Topic: How do you stop panicking and loosing the plot  (Read 6180 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: How do you stop panicking and loosing the plot
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 21:08:56 »
Completely OT but anyway...

I bought some mixed pumpkins and squash seeds from seeds of italy, and there were 145 seeds in there.  I know cos I counted them at my desk at work!!
Best laid plans and all that

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 21:11:22 »
they'll last you a few years then, plotof weeds ?  ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 21:26:22 »
are they the evening something, oo..mine have just been planted, got 27  ;D

Not sure... some giant type of sunflower anyways.... did you plant direct??

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 21:37:59 »
no, shoved them in rootrainers, all came up and transplanted them into deeper ones today, they're getting out of hand  ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 21:53:11 »
Yeah, i know what you mean about getting panicky jitterbug, it's our first year with the lottie and we've really no idea what we're doing, so i'm following my fave book like it's a bible!  ::)

You're one step ahead of us, we haven't dug anything yet, although we did have the plot rotovated in January (as soon as we took it over) so we're hoping to do minimal digging this year, just dig & plant/sow at the same time & see what happens.  We'll be more organised next year.....  ::)

My main thing is remembering everything that needs to be done, so i'd recommend the list thing too, i'm a list addict actually in all facets of my life, lists are king!  It really helps to relieve the pressure of remembering everything, and you get the added satisfaction of crossing things off as they get done!  8)  Do i need to get out more....  :D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 22:29:38 »
Like many others I concur with lists, prioritisation thereof, sticking to them and mindinf the poor old spine...  Panic ye not, for tis worthless and causes only anguish and escalating guilt vibes.

Like Tee Gee, I agree that ground prep is vital. 

Unlike Tee Gee I work stupid hours with a stupid commute and resort to weekend visits only during the dark evenings.  Ergo I am moving over to mulching and this year will be mostly cheating with the seeds (buying in plug plants where possible) to enable time for The Mulching Experience to be fully implemented and the weed-ridden paths to be violently hammered into shape whether they like it or not.

The hardest part is geting the peripheries of the plot dealt with as all you want to do is sow & harvest.  Then the weeds get a bit embarassing... It's worth putting a half hour on your list to dedicate to borders, paths and weedy spots.

And remember to enjoy the process - allotments are there for enjoyment, love of connecting with the earth and munching on the fruits of your efforts. It can't all be done in one go (unless you're retired... ;D ;D ;D) so pick and chose which permanent crops to go in for this year and those that can wait for next year and work your prep throughout the year instead of in one go.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 22:44:49 »
Just join the club!  I think it is natural to feel like this - I do myself. There is always one time usually inbetween May and June, in the season, where somehow you feel out of control. The weeds are growing faster than you can deal with, the plants are not being put in, in time. The greenhouse is still full of stuff and you still have beds to dig over.  Eek!! Panic stations! Like everyone says, prioritise and plan, but mainly don't worry about it.  You can only do what you can do.

I especially feel sorry for those that are at work and can only go to their lottie at  the weekend, which might be the time when it decides to rain continually. So, just do what you can.  Remember it should be something you enjoy doing, not something you should be worrying and feeling pressured about. Somehow, you tend to get there in the end, and if you don't there is always next year, when "things will be better"!!  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 23:00:10 »
We haven't done any digging either,cleaned out my raised beds etc but  it is too wet for the main plot , just relax jitterbug,I am a  real perfectionist and one thing I have learned over my insane nit  picking lifetime is that you will never get the perfection you strive for, no matter how close you get it will evade you,accept it and do the best you can. Be nice to yourself, you are supposed to be enjoying this, weeds will grow, they are meant to, so relax you  don't have to have the perfect plot,well at least not the first year,,just kidding . Enjoy  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 08:52:08 »
Jeannine - those are really wise words, being a perfectionist myself i totally know where you're coming from.

I'm hoping the lottie experience will help me to tone down my perfectionist streak  :o so I can accept part success instead of feeling guilty about everything not being 100% perfect.

;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 10:16:18 »
beauty is in the eye of the beholder  8)

I think my plot is 1/2 finished and no where near ready to plant yet other allotment holders thing my plots looking great!

They dont seam to see the weeds, the grass and all the bits i have 1/2 done or not started.

I am determined to get one bed planted up this week rain or shine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 11:00:22 »
Kitten,if you find a way please share it,being a perfectionist is a terrible thing to be,I realised I was way over the edge some years ago. I make teddy bears and I like the little ones ,so I aimed for smaller and smaller,everytime I did one the next one had to be smaller,eventually and I kid you not I actually got to 3/4 inch tall,made of ultrasuede, there were 24 pieces in the pattern,but would you believe I then wanted to dress them,and it had to be in scale I did little sweaters using fine heirloom thread instead of wool, regular thread was even too thick,and I knitted them or piano wire. Terrible isn't it XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 11:06:43 »
hi jitterbug, Dont worry to much, i suffer with a bad back, and have to get other to do most of my work, so i have to plan my plot out well, i now use this way to do things, people may disagree, but it works for me,

i draw out my plot for what i want to grow and eat every year, and stick to a crop rotation by moving the vegetable areas to a new site every year,,

when i start the season i hire a rotavator for around £30.00 perday, my son 27 yrs, poor lad, places manure where my potatoes and legumes will grow, then  he rotavate the whole site, kills him but keeps him fit (to drop) or so he keeps telling me,  twise - three times (the more he moans) i'm not that bad really, he! he! just to mix every thing in well,

we then mark out the site again and cover the growing areas with a fiber membrane ( two layers of cardboard - paper can be used just as well) and grow through this, as it cuts out the light for weeds to grow (stop work-hoeing) it saves on water loss, allowing water to go through the fiber or organic covering,

now the tempreature has warmed up, seeds will germinate, i've just started to sow and grow seeds in my coldframes and cold greenhouse, the tempreatures are aroung 15--23dec during the day and i have a good show now, and on the weekend will start to prick out seedlings, and plant them out in about four - to five weeks time, god willing,
hope this helps,
windy
my allotment
heaven

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 12:14:52 »
you are not the only one who feels overwhelmed. I got my plot last July and am still nowhere in getting control.

this is me as well, except we got the plot in september.

and the plot is still covered in snow so no digging till april when the snow goes and the ground thaws. still lots of weeding before anything can be planted. then there's the seed starting... can't start too early they'll go leggy, can't start too late as even a week with tomatoes can make a huge difference with a short growing season.

maybe i'll get the hang of it next year...

glad i'm not the only one
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 15:06:47 »
Thanks for all those wise words and encouragement.  I have now drawn up a list of things to do and have numbered them from 1 - 7 in the order of importance. 

Have decided that I am going to put a bottle of wine in my 'lottie box' (has its own list of things to pack 1 - 18) to take with me and if (when) I finish all the chores I will open the wine and sip it slowly whilst comtemplating my kingdom.

Cheers and have a wood week-end and hope the weather is kind to you all.

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 15:10:14 »
Have a good weekend then jitterbug, make sure you put the wine at number one eh  ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 15:22:03 »
and that a bottle opener is one of the 1-18 items you bring :)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 20:02:16 »
I got my plot in January and was making good progress with it, but haven't been in three weeks. The only thing that needs doing down there is digging, and it's just far, far too wet. Before the snow, I'd properly dug about 20-30ft of the plot, full width. Only 110ft to go, then.   ::)

It's been so long that I'm starting to hyperventilate in panic, just thinking about it  :o

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 20:05:06 »
it'll still be there waiting, Laura.not as bad as you think  :) ..don't forget, it's supposed to be a pleasure, not a chore  :)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 20:36:38 »
it'll still be there waiting, Laura.not as bad as you think  :) ..don't forget, it's supposed to be a pleasure, not a chore  :)

It's never a chore! I just want it dug, yesterday  ::)

Impatient, me? Noooooo!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal