Author Topic: Waterlilies  (Read 1742 times)

Rohaise

Waterlilies
« on: March 06, 2007, 18:10:11 »
  Went into Woolies today  and spent my housekeeping money on  "buy one get one free" Waterlilies  .     It was love at first sight with that picture on the packet .    ::)  Yes ,you,ve guessed it ........I dont have a pond   ;D        So O.K.  I,m a fast digger ....I will dig one out  at the weekend   !      Until then ,will it be o.k. in an old washing up bowl ?  Also ,when they are in a pond ....are they airating plants or will I have to buy other plants for that  ?       Thankyou    Rohaise    :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Waterlilies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 16:30:07 »
As a temporary measure I would say yes providing you don't allow it to freeze as it might in a small container.

Here is a link that might help; http://tinyurl.com/25rkqo

Rohaise

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 21:54:28 »
Thanks TeeGee......that is actualy ,VERY  good thinking !   :D   I had better move it into a  safe place.  It is rare for us to  get frost  here  ....but it is still possible...and I think its set to turn cold again next week ?    ::)   I ve been looking at some library books about making small water features and ponds.....it seems it can all get very expensive   :o .  Well ,I,m thinking of recycling some plastic sheeting I found at a local nursery (it was  in a free to take bin ) and I have quite alot of it ...I,m also going to make a tomato growing mini-house thing with some of it  (O.K so I grew up watching Blue Peter   :D  )   I will use sand and an old blanket underneath the several layers of quite thick plastic .   Rocks around the edge to hold all in place and arranged to look attractive  and my waterlilies in the middle . The thing I need to know is this ---- To save me buying a pump ,can I use a simple and CHEAP oxygenating plant instead ?    There will be no fish ,this is just for the beauty of reflections and Dragonflies .       Thanks again Rohaise

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 19:12:21 »
No need for a pump, waterlilys like still water, but you will need a fish to eat the midge and mozzie eggs.

Rohaise

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 21:47:45 »
 But doesn,t the pump make air bubbles , so that the pond doesn,t go stagnant  or something ?     Rohaise     ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal