Author Topic: Toms in or Out?  (Read 2580 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Toms in or Out?
« on: May 07, 2004, 08:28:13 »
I have about 10 Tomatoe plants at about 8 to 10 " high.. I was intending to plant them into the allotment but was wondering if I should give them some more time under glass first.!   I have not had a lot of luck with Toms in the Past and would really like to have a better year this year so any advice would be helpful.

Cheers
Ad

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Re:Toms in or Out?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 08:34:10 »
Depends where your located.  You want to be careful, as even the slightest bit of frost and they will suffer.

I am in Kent, and I was going to wait a couple more weeks yet before risking a couple (they are warning of an impending late frost.).  I had a late frost last year towards end of May I recall.

I am sure there are other more experienced folk who can give better answers tho  ::)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 08:47:59 »
I agree with Kingkano, there's lots of discussion on other threadss about when to plant out but the beginning of June seems favourite (subject to where you are)

The other factor is what variety (ies) are you growing?

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:12:06 »
That makes sense!  I may just tend them a couple more weeks then under the cloche.  I noticed a bit of a chill in the air this morning so you may well be right.

I believe I have money maker & tumbling something or other which I bought fom Garden centre the other day and I also have Elisia Craig which I have grown from seed.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 09:21:08 »
I think I may have discovered my past failures being down to over watering.. Now I have read a bit more it seems that I was waterign way too much.. Hence why the rot aroung the base of the stems.!  

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 09:45:05 »
Best way to water toms is to 'plant' an empty pot or two (or the top half of a pop bottle with the lid off) in the soil/compost then water into the pot/bottle. That way the water will get to the roots.
gone to pot :D

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:49:10 »
That sounds like a good idea!  What frequency should you water & feed ?  Obviously depends on weather but I was watering every other day before.

Ad
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 09:49:28 by adamhill100 »

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:50:28 »
Last year I did about twice a week watering when it was hot, and fed once a week.  Other people might have done it different  ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 09:52:42 »
Adam - I watered when they looked like they needed it. When the compost felt dry or the plants were literally wilting. On some really hot days that meant twice a day.

feed - as per instructions on bottle/packet.
gone to pot :D

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 09:55:15 »
Ok thanks!  Will do.

Adam

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 11:18:32 »
A100,

Ailsa Craig & the tumbling varieties are accepted as outdoor varieties but Moneymaker is normally grown indoors - you may (unless we get another year like last - or you live somewhere warm) not have too much success

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal