Author Topic: Sarpo Axona  (Read 2037 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
Sarpo Axona
« on: February 28, 2007, 18:28:20 »
Hi , :)
I bought some Kerr Pinks potatoes and have them chitting, but from reading other posts, I thought I might not have enough  ??? (1.5kg, I really didn't no what weight of crop I get from them when I bought them) so I asked OH to call in for some more today, there were no Kerr Pinks left, so he bought Sarpo Axona  :-\.
Has any of you grown them before? what are they like? The chap who sold them to him said they wouldn't have the same problem of blight that the Kerr's do.
Life is to short !!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Sarpo Axona
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 19:27:41 »
Not grown them myself, but from my research before, it was claimed they have good all round disease resistance.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

socky

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 14:34:54 »
Hi there - we grew Sarpo Axona last year as our main crop and were really disappointed with them - low yield and small potatoes.  No problems with any bugs or anything but certainly not what I'd hoped for having read all the rave reviews !  We're giving them a miss this year - sorry !

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 22:23:09 »
Hi,

I'm growing Sarpo for the 3rd year this year.  Taste isnt up with the best but yield is good for us and blight resistance superb - a big bonus where we are as blight strikes early every year.

Best laid plans and all that

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 22:53:21 »
I grew Sarpo Axona as one of my varieties last year and will be doing so again this year.

Flavour: I agree with plotofweeds that there are more delicious spuds -- although there was nothing wrong with S.A's flavour and it improved a lot after a couple of months in store.

Yield: I got just over 60lb from one T&M pack (I seem to remember that being about 20 seed spuds). That was a mix of tubers from egg-sized to huge bakers.

Strength: Their blight resistance was amazing. They just weren't touched, even though plots either side of mine were wasted. No pest damage either from slugs or eelworm.

There you go: hope that helps!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal