Author Topic: A start.  (Read 1863 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
A start.
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:36:03 »
Hello all,

Managed to get my first 3 rows of Potatoes in on Monday after digging over and weeding the area for 3 hours!  God my back ached.. However it was good to make a start.. Just this blooming weather that is holding any further progress up.... Met a couple of the other chaps up there who really seem like they know their stuff and they were only too willing to give me some much needed advice... What to put in next is the big question?

Ads

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
Re:A start.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 16:54:25 »
When we got our lootie last spring, the first thing i planted (after we had dug one bed) was some herb plants. Got sage (2 types), thyme (2 types), oregano, rosemary, chives and a small bay tree from B&Q - not an advert, but they were well priced.

Putting in plants gave us something to look at with aching backs as we cleared the rest of the plot. Seeing them thriving made it easier to carry on when the going got heavy!

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 12:47:30 »
I am way behind on the digging etc.  but for weeks now cant get any done as its jsut too wet.  How the heck can you do anything in the wet please? lol.  cant prepare for seeds when its muddy can you?  ::)

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 13:26:48 »
We got ours late last year too and were advised not to dig it all.  One of the best things we did was get some seeds going on the window sill so that they got ahead whilst we were digging.  
Courgettes, sweetcorn and leeks were successful, as was perpetual spinach (although this one went straight in the ground).

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 13:28:25 »
I know what you mean!  It has been a terrible week or so for digging..  I was lucky to get in early on Monday!  However if I had of left any later I would still have nothing in.  I am going to get a load of seed trays going over the next couple of days and hopefully it will work better than waiting for the ground to be ok..Fingers crossed

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 14:31:49 »
I've done all the seed tray things I can do almost.  Its the root crops I am  worried about, so far just 1 row of carrots, 1 beetroot, and I got my parsnips in.  potatoes and onion in fine, everything else I haevnt been able to dig for yet :(  its not dire until June tho, then I will be upset as not likely to get a result then!

Shocking weather tho for it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal