Author Topic: A letter!!  (Read 3725 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
A letter!!
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:01:24 »
Last August, 13th to be more precise, I wrote a letter to the council wanting another allotment. Yesterday, I got a letter acknowledging the letter of the 13th August. I believe that one of the allotments that were taken had been applied for after I had applied. All the allotments have been taken now, and I don't think there are any more allotments available in the area. I believe there are a total of 14 plots in the whole of Caernarfon, and I cannot think of any more in the outlying villages.
Mimi - all the hendre estate was part of the farm, including where Tescos is now. The Bro Helen houses were built when the current farmer was 11. Three of their horses (yearling, 2yo and stallion) won at the show on Anglesey on  Monday so I have access to prize winning horse's manure  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

nparker

Re: A letter!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 18:45:18 »
Hi,
My wife and i are returning to live in Caerrnarfon this June.  Do you know how we can apply for an allotment?  What are the chances of being awarded one?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: A letter!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 13:43:05 »
Hi, nparker, There are several routes you can take to finding out about allotments in your area.  The first one is, you can look on-line to your local authority web site and they will have a section that covers allotments.  There you should find out where the allotment sites are in your area. There will also be the name of the allotment officer and his contact numbers so you can give him a ring and find out what he can offer you.  Some allotments are self-managed so if you find a possible site you could go to visit it and they should have a Notice Board with the Secretary's contact number on.

It is good to take a look around a few so you can judge if the facilities or the site is a good one and what you can expect. It is becoming increasingly difficult to walk straight into renting a plot as it is such a popular thing to do now, but you might be lucky. When I joined our waiting list three years ago there were only three people on it, so I only waited a couple of weeks.
We have a waiting list of thirty on ours now so people could wait six months to a year for the list to move up to the top, but each place is different.  Good luck and I hope you can get one soon, it is a fantastic thing to have your own plot and so satisfying.

Bad luck for you Multi. There seems to be a horrible trend of allotments being taken over for housing etc. and they are fast becoming a very precious commodity. Lucky for you to have horse manure on tap.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal