Author Topic: Compost  (Read 793 times)

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
Compost
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:12 »
Hi
please advise me.
I have just finished digging over the beds on the allotment and raked them. One of the older guys on the site told me to spread compost over the top of all my beds.  ( I inherited 3 large bins full of black gold)
I have done this on 2 beds but, as the compost is not as fine as the soil I am wondering if, when I plant seeds they will be able to push their way up through it.  The compost is quite clumpy and heavy.  Am I doing this right?
Thanks for any advice.
Mrs T

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:33:03 »
I sow seeds on a compressed channel of newly purchased multipurpose compost. It is approximately 2 inches wide by 1 inch deep depending on the seed. The seed is then covered with new compost.

To that end, the compost you have laid on your soil will be fine for regenerating the soil. By using the method above, you are only using new compost where you are sowing seeds and not wasting loads all over the place so to speak. The multipurpose will be nice, fresh and loose enough for seeds to germinate. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:01:33 »
Too late for the compost you have already spread, but have you tried riddling/sifting the compost?

I copied Bob Flowerdew's DIY method - laying a wire mesh  (1cm holes) over a wheel barrow and then pushing the compost thro the mesh with a trowel.  Ended up with a lovely crumbly mix and threw the lumpy bits back in the heap for more cooking.

Labour intenstive but strangely theraputic and good upper body exercise.  Also a good job to do when the plot is too wet for anything else ::)

Agree with KT about the multipurpose - it also acts as a marker for the seeds and helps to identify seedlings from weedlings......

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 18:52:40 »
Thank you both for your replies, I will do the pushing through thing, it makes sense to me.  And a good idea about sowing new seeds in bought compost to identify them.  Will do that too.  Thank you again
Mrs T

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal