Author Topic: Pectin  (Read 1462 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Pectin
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:47:42 »
Off to England tomorrow and will be hitting the garden centres and shops!!!! what brand pectin do you use for jelly making?? or will arrowroot do??

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Pectin
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 22:37:28 »
The only artificial source of pectin I remember is a brand called Certo.   It is sold in small bottles, but I am not sure that it is available all the year round.  When it is available, most supermarkets stock it.

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 20:31:45 »
Certo is the best one I have found. Certo do have their own site with most recipes that you would want.1 word of caution though for the globetrotting cooks. In the Uk it is in a bottle,in the US and Canada it is in a box with two liquid pouches. If you are using different countries recipes,  1 pouch does not equal 1/2 bottle as would seem likely,  and to complicate things even more if you e mail Certo in the UK they don't know how to convert a US recipe to British Certo and vica versa. I worked it out last year and a UK bottle is the same as 3 pouches of US Certo,(and we won't even mention the  Certo crystals which  go in at the beginning rather than at the end, and the recipes are not interchangeable!!) Have fun XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 00:34:17 »
Arrowroot won't serve the same purpose as pectin. But why buy it - you can make your own. A pan full of apple cores & skins, covered with water, with lemon juice added, boiled for a couple of hours until thick and gloopy and then strained off.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal