Author Topic: Containers for 'toilet roll tube' planting  (Read 3489 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Containers for 'toilet roll tube' planting
« on: February 24, 2007, 22:40:12 »
I've been racking my brain cell trying to come up with a container deep enough to hold plants started off in toilet roll tubes. Today I found just the thing while tidying up.

Many moons ago I bought some underbed storage packs - the clear soft plastic flat-pack zipped ones you can pick up in any discount hardware store.

I've stiffened the sides with thick cardboard (though I might replace with short planks from pallets). Its like a cheap coldframe - zip it up at night, unzip in the morning. I've put some bubblewrap under it for added protection.

Roll on parsnips, peas; etc    ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Containers for 'toilet roll tube' planting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 22:53:57 »
VERY clever!!!!

cj :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 20:48:49 »
Excellent idea!  Go to the top of the class for ingenuity!   ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 20:09:46 »
I use a tray which i got some seedlings in many moons ago.

The pots that fit in the tray are 2 inches wide and i pot them up 2/3 press in a toilet roll which i have scooped full of soil first and then pack more soil in.

I stand in the tray and when there all done i give them a light watering, which usualy compacts the soil a little.

Then i plant and top with a little more soil and water again.

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 14:54:37 »
I use a cat litter tray (minus the cat litter of course) and just stack the filled and seeded loo rolls inside - placing it in the cold frame at night.

Got given an old butler sink a while ago - wanted to fill it with herbs and such like.  Anyone got any ideas for keeping the local cats off?????

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 20:26:33 »
I put prunings from shrubs etc (esp roses!)in a criss cross stylee across areas I've just sown -  keeps my moggy and the next door moggies off till plants are big enough to block out toilet opportunities   ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 20:53:59 »
yep I've used shreded rose prunings and holly etc (ie prickly stuff) to keep rabbits off over wintered onions etc. Seems to work. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 21:15:02 »
I have my salad box in a large mesh jail made of panels to my puppy run including roof, this is the only way I could protect it,if anyone comes up with a good idea please let us know.  There is one thing, cats don't like the smell of lemon oil I know that for a fact, perhaps some of those heavily scented lemon pellets from the petshop might be OK in  the herb bed, ,I didn't want lemon flavoured lettuces !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 23:58:38 »
Thanks for the tips about the cats - thinking deeply about the holly and prickly trimmings to keep the local youths off of my plot.  (Getting old and grumpy!!!!!!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal