Author Topic: Camalot Scam  (Read 1760 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Camalot Scam
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:58:54 »
I wouldn't normally consider taking the time to pass on news of yet another scam doing the rounds, but take care with this one.
It's supposedly from Camalot and says you have won thousands....the danger with it is, there are some who might click the provided link to see if it's real.
DON'T. If you do, it puts a tracker on your system. It's part of an identity stealing scam.
Camalot never state in an E-mail the amount of moeny you might have won. If you get and E-mail with that in it, it's certainly not from Camalot.
Don't do anything with it, just delete it...don't click the link.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Camalot Scam
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:32 »
Tracking software seems all to prevalent now, most of it seems to monitor (allegedly) customer usage for commercial purposes. I remove stuff like this regularly using spybot or adaware ...

Interestingly, I don't do the lottery, so ignore all emails in that vein, but received one last week that cited I had won ... when I did do the lottery many years ago, it contained 4 of the numbers I would have chosen, which have never been published on the net ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:33:53 »
Unless you purchase your lottery tickets on line direct from Camelot, there is no way that they could notify you by email that you have won.
All tickets purchased in shops etc. must surely be anonymous, as you don't give any details when buying.
I am registered with Camelot, but only so that they send me emails with the draw results every week, and have never purchased my tickets that way. So there is no way they could know even if I had entered at all.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 20:59:48 »
I do my lottery online but dont open any emails from camelot. Once every couple of months I log on to check my numbers. I gathered If I had won they would of contacted me in other ways by now.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:23:47 »
I win the lottery about 10 times a day according to my emails I have never replied to any of them as I am of the opinion that if they can enter me into it without my knowledge then they can send me a cheque without me doing anything although I would probably go into shock if they did.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:20:09 »
I wonder if these "tracker" files run in Unix, I expect they are really built for Windows system and this type of software will not have anything to do with Unix. The only software I have which runs in both systems is Digita Organiser and the only reason I can see is that it's not installed (I do have "Wine" installed, suspect it really means Win E). Incidentally, it has run under all versions of Windows with no problems from the early 1990's. Digita International built this and then abandoned it, making it a free download at that time. I first used it on the Amiga.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal