Author Topic: lidl's out to bankrupt me  (Read 11692 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
lidl's out to bankrupt me
« on: February 22, 2007, 16:38:15 »
 well, just got the latest lidl leaflet after spending a fortune in aldi

from 1st march, secateurs 99p, telescopic hedge shears 3.99, stainless steel spade, fork or shovel 7.99, 2 in 1 stool 4.99, knee pads 1.49, mini greenhouse 12.99,

from 3rd march fruit trees 3.99, I CAN'T fit any more fruit in..fruit bushes 99p, I paid 4.00 each last week..and more, and more...I need an overdraft and a bigger allotment, hope some people who missed out on aldi can get there  ;D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Re: lidl's out to bankrupt me
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 16:42:40 »
Going to get a S/S fork so the kids can give it to me for Mothers Day  (might as well get what I want instead of chocolates)

;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 18:04:43 »
Thats the way to do it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 20:55:46 »
Here's the link if anyone wants a look
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070301.index.ar3

The box hedging looks good value.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 21:38:05 »
anyone ever tried their growbags ?  as i'm likely to need 20 or so, 89p each sounds like a bit of a bargain .... but is there no such thing as a free lunch ??

::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 22:11:49 »
I've tried their potting compost at 99p & that's fine.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 22:14:42 »
got a few more days til the grow bags are out so will try them and see.  push comes to shove, they can morph into mulch !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 23:10:25 »
just bought millions of seeds tonight at 29p/packet... i'm sure i'll buy a million more.  Disappointed with the flower seeds but they have some lovely sunflowers.  Cant wait for the fruit trees - bought 3 last season and nothing is happening... Another lesson learnt! Buy fruit bushes with green on not just brown twigs!

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:43:23 »
Oooooooh, I've just told my bribeable friend with landrover. :) He's a Lidl junkie. I could use loads of that stuff.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 20:48:42 »
you dont want to look at what they have on the 5th then!!

rubber ankle boots (wellie type) £2.99

And dont forget that they also have individual fruit plants (Blueberry, Gooseberry, Redcurrant, Raspberry, Blackcurrant, Blackberry, Spirea, Honeysuckle, Forsythia, Potentilla, Dentzia, Mock Orange, Weigelia, Hibiscus ) for 99pence

3.99 for 1-2 year old fruit trees

Apple: Granny Smith, Cox's Orange, Golden Delicious, Bramley Cooking
Cherry: Stella Cherry
Pear: Doyenne Du Comice, Beurre Hardy
Plum: Victoria, Golden Gage

i cant wait !! as i nearly paid out £8 for the little ankle wellies at the weekend!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 20:55:20 »
Just been advertised on the goggle box - lidl garden sale this weekend coming up. 80 litre bags of multipurpose potting compost - £1.99. Large teracotta plant pots £4.99. I only caught the back end of the advert. But loads of other stuff advertised, I only took notice when it said LIDL. Never shopped there myself, but we have one at catterick so will pop in on friday on the way home.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 13:02:31 »
you dont want to look at what they have on the 5th then!!

And dont forget that they also have individual fruit plants (Blueberry, Gooseberry, Redcurrant, Raspberry, Blackcurrant, Blackberry, Spirea, Honeysuckle, Forsythia, Potentilla, Dentzia, Mock Orange, Weigelia, Hibiscus ) for 99pence

I understand LIDL deals are sometimes different days at different stores ?

Just picked up Sales sheet in Lincoln:

Thursday 1st March
Garden tools, gloves, secateurs 99p, long tree saw 4.99, Poly tunnel with hoops and poly sheet 2m  x 5m 2.99,

Saturday 3 rd March
all the fruit tree/shrub listed above + Bulbs, Perennials, Pots, Troughs and Roses at 3.99 (standards) and 1.29 (bush)
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 23:39:12 »
The potting compost is either 40 l or 30 l. (peat free) for 1.99. Not such a good price. Our local garden centres have them for 75 l for 2.49. Lidl have never had bags of more than 40 litres of anything. I think the .89p grow bags are a bargain though. I use them to fill my tomato pots in the GH.

Tricia

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 13:47:12 »
Good day/bad day......

Had to go to the dentist for a filling first thing this morning, read Will's news about Supersprout and felt even more down. :'(

Being a total coward with anything involving teeth, I promised myself that if I didn't make too much of a fool of myself, I would go to Lidl on the way back and get some of the cloches they were selling from today. As I didn't cry or have hysterics (!) off to Lidl I go, to find the place heaving, and the coveted cloches all gone by 10 am ("no madam, we are not getting any more in..." >:( :'()
I buy a stainless steel fork for £7 as a consolation prize to myself to replace the one I broke last year...fed up+++

Slink home to OH, big hug for surviving dentist, listens to my moan about lack of cloches, goes off to town (so I thought...) arrives home with cloches from far flung Lidl store I didn't know existed!! ;D ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 19:29:15 »
wandered out of work tonight with the same stunned look that i'd had on my face all day when a little sprout whispered in my ear "don't forget Lidl" !

so Sarah made me buy:

15 grow bags
1 spade
2 rolls of weed fabric
1 set lawn sheers

The handle of the spade is rather long (although it might suit the OH) but you can actually unscrew it and cut it to length.  Rather clever i thought.

My pop back tomorrow for some more grow bags if there are any left !  i was sort of embarrassed to have 15 of them in my trolley (apart from the fact i couldn't fit any more in !).

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 13:19:55 »
Went to lidl at catterick yesterday, they had rakes for £2.99 with wooden handles. Thought I would pick them up today. Sold out. Went to lidl at Middlesbrough today - sold out. Moral of the story - he who hesitates is lost. (must be me then)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 19:36:23 »
They do seem to sell out of gardening products really quickly; I have learnt my lesson now, get there early on the day whatever it is you are after is advertised to sell (or late the night before, that works sometimes) or else miss out... :(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 15:07:00 »
I've just put up one of the hooped plastic tunnels I got from Lidl, and I'm very disappointed. Three hoops snapped as I bent them over (they are packed as straight poles), and the plastic sheeting is so narrow that you have to push the hoops really deep into the ground to make them low enough to be covered by the plastic. The plastic is light and flimsy, and I have had to fasten it to the ground with wire staples, otherwise it would blow up and off.

I know they are very cheap but I hoped they might be a bit more useful than they are.  :-\

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 16:28:00 »
I've just put up one of the hooped plastic tunnels I got from Lidl, and I'm very disappointed. Three hoops snapped as I bent them over (they are packed as straight poles), and the plastic sheeting is so narrow that you have to push the hoops really deep into the ground to make them low enough to be covered by the plastic. The plastic is light and flimsy, and I have had to fasten it to the ground with wire staples, otherwise it would blow up and off.

I know they are very cheap but I hoped they might be a bit more useful than they are.  :-\

I thought the hoops were used in pairs, joined by the plastic joints in the middle; ?  :-\

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 18:36:04 »
Yes, I did join the hoops together in the middle, as you say, and it was the plastic joints that snapped, plus one hoop section snapped. I bound the joint with string, but it's not the same shape. I also tried a short length of hosepipe instead, but again, it does not make the same smooth arch shape. I need a firm short tube....?

However...............someone else on my site has got a Lidl tunnel and it is so much wider that I had a closer look at mine.................and what I was calling flimsy plastic is actually still folded double! So I apologise to Lidl, apart from the flimsy hoops and joints. They are fairly generous with the number of hoops, however, so I'll set it up all over again tomorrow.... ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal