Author Topic: New asparagus plants in old bed?  (Read 715 times)

Garjan

• Acre
New asparagus plants in old bed?
« on: February 20, 2007, 16:30:50 »
My four asparagus plants were grown from seed and are now four years old. Last year they produced one meal. And as OH and off spring like them as well I definitely want a larger crop and need more plants.

Can I buy new crowns and plant them in the bed next to the old ones? If so: how to make a planting hole without damaging the old crowns?

Or is it better to dig up the old crowns and prepare a new bed for the old and the new crowns? Asparagus plants last for 15 years I was told. Can they survive a transfer?
There surely is someone who knows how to handle this?
Thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: New asparagus plants in old bed?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 16:33:51 »
I transplanted a whole bed, lost a few and am going to replace them... has taken them a couple of years to get going again!
 ;D

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 16:52:00 »
That's exactely what I wanted to avoid!  :-\ 
But now I'm starting to worry: saddad with the green fingers losing plants .... That's a definite no-no for transferring asparagus.

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 13:23:09 »
Thought I bring this topic on again, as I am very curious how saddad put his new asparagus crowns in the old bed? Or did you start another bed?

Of course, any advice from someone other than saddad is welcome to.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 17:00:52 »
Transferred twenty four plants to a new bed, couch had got into the old one, have lost about 5, so have six crowns potted up in the Greenhouse so that I can put them in once I'm sure where they need to go...
 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal