Author Topic: Damaged peas and beans  (Read 1743 times)

bumble

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Damaged peas and beans
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:00:53 »
My peas and beans have been attacked but not completely eaten - not sure whether the birds, rabbits or slugs have been at them.  The outer stalks are still intact, my question is will they grow and produce anything or do I need to start again?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Damaged peas and beans
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:37:28 »
The pigeons and I think a moorhen have been grazing on my peas, which is rather annoying as they don't seem to be picking on anyone elses peas!  Slugs love beans and will munch them down to ground level over night, stems and all!  I don't know whether a rabbit would be that fussy and only eat the leaves, so I would blame the birds.  Now my peas have carried on growing - now I have netted them, so I am hoping they will be find, but with your beans, I believe that if they have been munched beyond the growing point and beyond any leaves, just leaving a stump, I don't think there is any hope....I think....so I would say start again  :-[, however, there is still loads of time for your beans - I have some only just in pots!

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 22:00:42 »
Ill have the same prodlems with my peas,they are been eaten,or are they just pulled out for fun,by a cople of crows.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 22:58:59 »
Found slime trails by some of my peas.  :'(
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 03:57:18 »
mine are nicely nibbled by something - i have put little 1/2 bottle cloches over them to see if they improve - if they don't its back to square one and net them and hope it was birds.

new sowing have been sprinkled with coffee grounds which should keep slugs off fingers crossed...

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 07:55:46 »
I sowed both my peas and broad bean seeds direct, and covered them with a pop bottle cloche with the lid off for ventilation.  Both have germinated and come up big and strong.  I left the pop bottle cloche around them until they were 6+ inches high so hopefully too big to be ruined totally by slugs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal