Author Topic: Best ever greenhouse crop?  (Read 2513 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Best ever greenhouse crop?
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:57:35 »
Hi all,  :)

I`m getting a greenhouse. A proper third-hand greenhouse with glass not a reclaimed wood and plastic jobby. (I just wanted to write that)

My question is .. What is the one crop that really benefits from greenhouse
cultivation? How do I get best use of the growing space given that I already have
places for toms and a cold frame that has raised melons and started cucumbers.

What can I grow in the greenhouse that just wouldn`t grow outdoors, A whole new harvest?

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Best ever greenhouse crop?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:28:05 »
Pineapples   ;D

Interesting question! I always grow Pak Choi in the beds from March - they grow outside obviously but I like an early crop  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:40:36 »
A proper seedless dessert grape, you can grow it up the back and along under the ridge if the ridge is high enough!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:07:39 »
I'm afraid my grape vine didn't do brilliantly in my home greenhouse, neither did melons. Cucumbers, chillies, peppers and toms were all fantastic! The same varieties I grew outdoors did nowhere near as well. :-\

To make best use of the space, try thinking about what you can grow vertically; I used the cucumbers (and squash grown on the exterior outdoors) as growing shading. Also getting crops going earlier and later to extend the season as Trixiebelle suggests.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 13:31:14 »
Even Bananas grow outdoors nowadays!

It's more a question, as noted, of earliness/lateness & reliability?

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 15:14:28 »
I'm afraid my grape vine didn't do brilliantly in my home greenhouse, neither did melons. Cucumbers, chillies, peppers and toms were all fantastic! The same varieties I grew outdoors did nowhere near as well. :-\

A vine likes to have its roots in a cooler place then the rest so if you can make/cut a hole at one conner and grow the vine up inside ur greenhouse/conservertory and a good grape should be had.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 14:39:47 »
Congratulations, Col, that is exciting news after all those reclaimed wood & glass affairs [though they did the business]. I agree, I grow mainly stuff I grow outside but get it ealrier/later.  Also good for overwintering things like citrus & cuttings. Good luck & don't forget the pics when it's up.  :)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 14:45:42 »
Thanks for your thoughts,

I had two grapes vines once but they died.  :(
So its really about extending the growing season. A plot neighbour of mine has
peas growing in his, they look really well.

After all I ever wrote about glass on the plot  :-[ Never listen to me I know nothing.
Although I have removed trip hazards around it and will mesh over the front.
With the help of allotment buddies I moved the whole greenhouse and huge sleepers it stands on and took all the glass out and replaced it this weekend. I cracked one pane of glass. Its located in an out of the way place next to my pumpkin heaps and next week I`ll be cleaning it and installing staging. I still have my potting shed for storing compost and pots and as work space so the greenhouse is for the plants.

Its a whole new transparent world,  ;D Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 17:33:47 »
We currently have a large window box type trough with carrots early nantes in, and another with salad bowl lettuce in.  This is our earliest crops.  You can do salads all through the winter if you like - we will have radish and spring onions started by next weekend.  I don't grow toms or cucumbers in mine as they do good enough for me on the allotment, but the chillis are amazing.  Each plant is smothered in flowers and fruits, and with a little extra cossetting as the nights get chilly, you can keep those going all winter! 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal