Author Topic: Perlka  (Read 6766 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Perlka
« on: February 17, 2007, 22:10:38 »
Can anyone tell me more about this fertiliser. Is it a wonder feed and why can't you use it if you have imbibed alcohol before or after using it?

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Perlka
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 22:23:01 »
Can anyone tell me more about this fertiliser. Is it a wonder feed and why can't you use it if you have imbibed alcohol before or after using it?

Found on another website.

QUOTE      Contains Calcium Cyanamide.

Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. Harmful if swallowed. Irritating to respiratory system. Do not breathe dust. Risk of serious damage to eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Store out of reach of children and animals. Do not consume alcoholic beverage 6 hours prior to, during and 12 hours after handling the product.

I don't think I'd risk it!!!!!!
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 22:39:31 »
I'd get some good compost or manure if I were you - can't understand why anyone would want to put something so hazadous on their veggies they & their family are going to eat.  : ???

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 23:32:25 »
It causes mal rouge (definition below) because of its strong antabuse type effect when mixed with alcohol it is often blended with citric acid & used to treat alcoholism. I wouldn't go near it myself when there are so many natural alternatives for use as fertiliser.

m. rouge (rōōzh) [Fr. “red sickness”]  a syndrome occurring after inhalation or ingestion of calcium cyanamide followed by drinking an alcoholic beverage, marked by intense flushing, rapid pulse and pounding heart, panting respiration, and perception of the taste and smell of acetaldehyde in the exhaled breath, which may be followed by nausea, vomiting, and a precipitous fall in blood pressure; the extent and severity of the symptoms depend on the amount of calcium cyanamide and alcohol in the system. The reactions are due to the inhibition by calcium cyanamide of one or more of the enzymes required for oxidation of acetaldehyde formed from alcohol, resulting in the accumulation of acetaldehyde and the altered vascular reaction to it. A similar syndrome, also due to accumulation of acetaldehyde, occurs on ingestion of disulfiram followed by drinking an alcoholic beverage, but in addition there are impaired taste, unpleasant breath and perspiration, and lessened sexual potency.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:19:51 »
my god, it sounds more like a poison! :o :o

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:58 »
That's because it is.... being a cyanide compound! That stuff is coming nowhere near my veg plots... anyway... 18hrs without a drink? It's not worth it!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 10:14:00 »
Veggies grown in chicken and cow poop certainly sound more tasty after reading about this stuff. Interesting informative post, learned a lot ,thankyou XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 13:44:23 »
Blimey - thank goodness I didn't get any, and I will make sure that I am not down wind from anyone using it. I wonder if it is used a lot in commercial farming and if so whether any residue is left in the veg.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 14:12:33 »
I wondered too if commercial growers use it.  Even more reason from growing your own.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal