Author Topic: Asparagus bed  (Read 911 times)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
Asparagus bed
« on: February 17, 2007, 18:40:33 »
My plot is gently sloping,just wondering would any of you advise me on whether to have the bed running down or across the slope.
Many thanks. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Asparagus bed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 19:02:21 »
hi

mine is the same, i went for the beds running down the plot but i hammered in the posts and then added with wood which means that at the bottom of some of the beds theres a clear inch betten the botom of the wood and the ground which levels the bed.

I have black membrane down and i cut a hole inside the newly made bed with about 6 inches still inside the bed and then i foulded the membrane up inside the bed to stop the weeds growing though.

I then added some wood chips right up the wood :-) making a path.

Its all good.

Cambourne7

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 19:35:25 »
I would always prefer to run across the slope to avoid loosing water down the site...
 ???

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 23:02:02 »
Anymore opinions on this one folks?I'm still undecided. ???

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:54:15 »
I have long beds running downhill on new allotment (the other is flat) and wondered recently if I had made a mistake, and should have made them go across the slope. But the fact is that in spite of torrential rain on occasions over their first winter, not very much of the soil has washed out at the bottom so I am keeping them like this for the time being. Admittedly I have no permanent crops in them, so it would be easy to change direction by digging out a few paths. Your decision is more difficult...

Ron Weedsley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 18:11:00 »
Hi,

Everything else being equal, I'd go across the way rather than down the slope. You'll end up doing a lot less walking up and down the slope this way. You'll also find moving heavy barrows of muck easier and safer when it's wet & slippy.

You can't avoid the slope, but you can work with it.  :D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 18:31:43 »
Walking up and down the hill: a good point.

On the other hand, I have just been dragging bags of manure down the hill and found the slope very helpful (no wheelbarrow).... It's easy to tip stuff out of bags too, when they are facing down hill.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 16:13:21 »
If you look at tea and other forms of plantations in Asia and the Americas you'll see that contour farming is the way they do it, ie they go along and not down slopes. In Italy and Greece and other Mediterranean countries the idea of working with the contours rather than against them is the norm.

Although massive soil erosion is not currently a problem in the UK, it may well one day be so..another global warming bonus.

For water conservation alone it would seem better to have terraces, so that water can be distributed more evenly.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 16:54:21 »
We have a plot on 2 levels. At the bottom of the drop we planted the runner beans and they stayed much moister. Top half is a bit dryer, You just have to plant the right things in the right conditions.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal