Author Topic: SASSER WORM WARNING  (Read 2058 times)

rdak

SASSER WORM WARNING
« on: May 04, 2004, 12:08:07 »
Please make sure you protect your PC- the Sasser worm is spreading

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040503/80/esnj5.html

With this worm, you don't have to open an attachment or do anything- if your PC is on and connected to the internet, you could get infected in minutes!

Remember that your Windows PC out of the box will not be safe. It's been said before, but I consider the following an absolute MUST:

Have an anti-virus programme and keep it updated at least once per week.

Keep your Windows Operating System up to date. Load up Windows Update and set it to automatically search for updates.

Install a free firewall like ZoneAlarm

I also recommend not using the Preview Pane if you use Outlook or Outlook Express

Install anti spyware like Spy Bot

Be very careful using P2P software (file sharing). It's a very easy way to get viruses and spyware.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:SASSER WORM WARNING
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 14:17:56 »
Hi Ross,

I've only just found out about this from Ian (my husband) and am wondering if I've taken all the precautions I can?  ???

I have AVG 6.0 installed (just run a complete check and everything is AOK) + I've run and updated everything on windows XP. Got a firewall in place. I don't use outlook express and I don't file share.........Hold on....
............Just checked with Microsoft windows and they say my 'puter is not infected GREAT!!!
I take it I have done everything right for once?Thanks for posting your message Ross it helped me to check through everything.
If there is any other advice you can give us I'm sure we'll all be relieved. Good to know you're around!  :D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Re:SASSER WORM WARNING
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 19:22:06 »
This worm is certainly creating havoc, more than 1,000,000 pc's infected so far, and its spreading rapidly; the biggest concern is that it is capable of infecting windows xp embedded operating systems such as cash registers and ATM (cash) machines.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal